DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Spyder 4g64 trans talk... again

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Rockemum 
#1 ·
So I really effed up by NOT trying out the ELHS mod on the 96 spyder trans I had in my 90 laser before I pulled the motor and crushed it. I had measured the axles and they were the same height and tooth count, but I never verified that the IM shaft would end up on the right place to be bolted to the block. STUPID. I really think that a lot could be done on a nice flowing 14b/16g car with decent tires and suspension. Well, an awesome suspension.

So I had talked to a couple of trans builders and the basic response I had recieved is that it should hold the same power and torque as the turbo model, just with different gearing. That's the whole reason I dropped it into that laser. Even in stock form, on a 14b, stock tune, intake, exhaust, 15psi, that sucker would shred tires in first, second and third if you really wanted to be mean to it. Now just think if it had a suspension that didn't give, tires that gripped and ELHS and an lsd insert.

We can do some basic gearing speed calculators and see that there is a huge speed difference if the power is there to make shit happen. Ill just use third gear as a reference, 1.240 3rd and 3.625 final for the 4g64 trans, and 1.217 3rd and 4.153 final in the turbo 1g (and 2g). on a 225 45 17 tire. So that comes out to 107.43 mph at 6500 on the spyder trans, and 95.55 mph at 6500 on the turbo fwd trans. Who revs that low at the track right? lets do an 8k calculation. 132.22 on the spyder trans and 117.59 on the turbo fwd trans. Holy wow that could really do something, right? NOw your calculations might be different, but you can't deny the increase in speed the spyder gears should give you.

Now imagine you drop an evo 3 gearset into that trans. 114.84 at 6500 and 141.34 at 8000 in third gear. WTF.

Somebody please show me that this will not work. Before I build it, haha.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.