DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EVO 8 turbo and manifold

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  SLEEPS 
#1 ·
EVO8 big 16g
Does any one have this on thier 4g63 here?
The reason why i ask is they are supposed to be a nice bolt on. If so i am planning on putting my EVO turbo on my eclipse and wanted to know if anyone had any issues or results to share.
If anyone one else would like to do the same let me know i have two setups. From both of my own vehicles.
Thanks in advance for your comments

#2 ·
Sorry to break it to you, the EVO 8 turbo will not fit on your 4G63 motor. For lack of a better term, the turbo is backwards. I sure there is a way to do with some major custom work, but you would be better off with a EVO III Big 16G. The EVO 8 motor is still a 4G63 platform but the engine and tranny are swapped, tranny is on the drivers side, motor on the passengers side. It is also a twin-scroll turbo and needs a special manifold.

#3 ·
Guess what, Shepherd's car is really, really fast. Faster than any EVO. And it doesn't use EVO parts.

Urg I'm just kinda sick of people asking every day whether an Evo _____ will fit their dsm. Evo tranny, Evo motor swap, evo intercooler, evo turbo! There's nothing special about these parts other than the wow-factor of telling some 14 year olds kids you've got Evo parts!:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Matticus said:
Sorry to break it to you, the EVO 8 turbo will not fit on your 4G63 motor. For lack of a better term, the turbo is backwards. I sure there is a way to do with some major custom work, but you would be better off with a EVO III Big 16G. The EVO 8 motor is still a 4G63 platform but the engine and tranny are swapped, tranny is on the drivers side, motor on the passengers side. It is also a twin-scroll turbo and needs a special manifold.
The manifold from the evo bolts right up.
The twim scroll is a great option.
What do you mean by backwards?

#5 ·
markGSX said:
Guess what, Shepherd's car is really, really fast. Faster than any EVO. And it doesn't use EVO parts.

Urg I'm just kinda sick of people asking every day whether an Evo _____ will fit their dsm. Evo tranny, Evo motor swap, evo intercooler, evo turbo! There's nothing special about these parts other than the wow-factor of telling some 14 year olds kids you've got Evo parts!:rolleyes:
I never said that it would make it faster or anything . I just asked about the compatability.
It is a great uption for those looking to upgrade thier small 16g
And whats all the hate over the evo for?

#6 ·
perfworks said:

The manifold from the evo bolts right up.
The twim scroll is a great option.
What do you mean by backwards?
The turbo compressor housing is going to be placed in the center of your car's alternator.

But hey, don't let the fact that it won't fit deter you. You go for that Evo VIII turbo upgrade. I'm sure that you can come up with some sort of frankenstein turbo driven alternator.

#12 ·
since were on the evo8 subject, anybody think the rear lsd would fit on a dsm, what about a j-spec or euro-spec front and center diffs? or do you have to have active yawn control?(specially made for that car)

#13 ·
what about if you use the bushur altanator relocation kit to move the alt to the AC position. then the turbo might fit and make for some pretty short intercooler piping(front mount).

KP

#14 ·
epik_x said:
since were on the evo8 subject, anybody think the rear lsd would fit on a dsm, what about a j-spec or euro-spec front and center diffs? or do you have to have active yawn control?(specially made for that car)
Non of the j-spec or euro spec diffs seem to work with the stock evo so i dont think that it would for the DSM. But i have not looked into it for myself yet. Just going on others assumptions and trials.
The casings seem to be very different. I know that the j-spec fron diff if installed in the us spec evo it would blow apart.

#15 ·
kpz11 said:
what about if you use the bushur altanator relocation kit to move the alt to the AC position. then the turbo might fit and make for some pretty short intercooler piping(front mount).

KP
Interesting... But i was wondering if the units would just bolt in place without losing any amenities.
But that may work.
Its an option at least to make a project out of it.:)

#16 ·
those stock evo8 turbos are some shit though arent they ams pulled off 395 wheel hp with it, well with the help of hks cams and shit but still

#18 ·
Where you gonna pull fresh air from? If you managed to relocate the alternator, and get the turbo to fit. Now you have the chore of building some custome IC pipes, but that that is the easiest part of the install. Do you have a manual steering rack, cause the PS pump and resevior will be in the way. Or, since you want the EVO parts, get a EVO III manifold, and EVO III 16G, and EVO III O2 housing. It will make the install process a bit easier, and prolly make just about the alot more power than 271 HP when you crank the boost up to 19 PSI like a EVO VIII. And it will be the pretty much the same setup, minus 5 generations, and save you a bundle in cash.

I admire your desire for wanting to do the swap. Sometimes it takes people like us telling you it can't be done for you to pull it off. If you do manage to do it, please let us now. I will be the first to say I am full of shit, and eat my words.

#19 ·
I looked at installing the EVO 8 on my EVO 1. I really, really wanted to use the setup. I looked at flipping the turbo aroung so the intake is on the correct side. This would require custom exhaust manifold to be made along with custom 02. Even then the turbo is just too big and it would not fit between the engine and radiator in a mirage. It could be done in an eclipse with the additional 3 inch clearance. Major work though.

Then I looked at using the evo manifold and mounting it so the inlet. was right smack where the alternator is. You could move the alternator to where the a/c compressor is. This is overall the easier wayto get the turbo on, but sacrificing a/c is not in my vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.