DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

SBR "the experience"

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Asmodeus 
#1 ·
I know the SBR topic has been a huge topic as of late, and upon reading I have both agreed with and disagreed with many posters and SBR at times. I definately had my doubts. I apologize in advance for another SBR topic. (Nukefission, I'm sorry... I know you've NOT been having fun, but I gotta get this out there.) So I would ask up front to keep posts mild. I just want to explain MY experience, and ease some troubled minds. Please.

I went to SBR last Friday after speaking with both Crager and Mark. They were both VERY helpful, and I decided to give them a shot despite the internet weeny-ing. I needed machine work and thats just something I can't do myself. So me and the woman head on out to Indiana and walking thru the door I had my doubts. That lasted about 3 minutes. Matt was the one there at the time, and besides answering eleventy million questions, kicked everyone else's ass on cost to me. I parked on the wrong side (dumbass) and they let me walk thru to go get the head. They are some seriously busy boys. But when I walked back thru a few came out to inspect the head a bit and talk. All of which were nice, and I belive it was Josh? Even brought out a ported head for me to look at and tried to explain what they do. I muast have asked a million questions and they even brought out misc pieces I wasn't going to buy to show me the toys. I thought not only did they give me good prices, but they treated me like I was a regular. Even a friend. Now I didn't walk in the door with something up my ass either, I gave it a fair shot. My woman, who is a shrewd skeptic of everyone and anything was also pleased. She liked being there, and they answered some of her questions too. It was a good experience hands down.
:D
Then it gets better... Tuesday my car exploded. Now I don't have a car...
I work 35 speeding minutes from home. So I call SBR... And explain how that tho, its not their fault, I'm so absolutely screwed & w/o a car. Matt says NO problem. It should have been done next Friday, he'll see what he can do. I explain how grateful I will be, and tell them anything they can do will save my ass. (The Galant is RIP... The talon now being my only hope.) So I get a call today from Matt saying guess what buddy. Its done. Come and get it. :D
Now if you think they suck... or don't care about you, or are out to steal your money. I say you're wrong. They were the nicest, knowledgeable ppl I've ever dealt with yet. Did I mention the cheapest? Anything I don't buy from Ebay I will buy from them. They saved my ass. Period. And THAT, is something I will never forget. Your doubts are unfounded. SBR is an excellent place to go. Just GO if you can. You'll see.
Matt, thank you again.
Dustin

See less See more
#4 ·
I picked the head up Saturday and again spoke with Matt.
They do good work. They even did some extra's I didn't pay for.
Not to mention some seriously thorough work. I turned in some cores to pay for the head and they threw me some other things I needed as well. Top notch, I am VERY pleased. :D

Now I just gotta get this thing together!
(I'm in the middle of the balance shaft removal, but after that its all reassembly!) :D
Soon, very soon! ;)

#5 ·
Yeah, just bought 1 of the 4 50 trims they had on the shelf. Turbo delivery went as scheduled and VERY VERY helpful(Cragger) . But I did have trouble with the turbo. The bolt holding the Internal Wastegate on is very short and came out of the turbo when adjusting the WG screw. If anyone at SBR reads this, you might want to use a little longer bolt holding the wastegates together. I had to take the whole turbo off and retap the hole. Then I had to buy the gasket that fit the turbo( wish they would have explained this before I bought the so called Bolt up turbo. I remember asking what I needed to do in order to install. Was told ( oil return, oil feed, and plug up the waterlines) which I did get and dent the watertube. Never knew I needed gaskets, weld a boost controller nipple from the turbo to the MBC, or have to retap the short screw that was barely holding the wastegate on. Again SBR Ive had an extreemly good experiance dealing with you. Just would have liked a heads up on everything that I would have needed because I would have PAID you for the install kit/gaskets. The 2 hour turbo install turned into a 4 day, running around, $400 extra spending, sun burning, exhaust leak extraviganza! Now that the turbo is installed. Its BOOST TIME! Thanks again SBR!

#6 ·
I'm really glad that this wasn't another SBR-bashing thread. I've also never had a bad experience dealing with them. Only once did they forget a gasket (manifold to turbo; part of the 2g install kit). I called, and it was shipped the same day. The guys were nice on the phone, and answered all my questions. Their turnaround time for porting and installing a 34mm wastegate was less than a week.

I still don't get how inconsistent their service record is. Some have great reviews, many others don't. :confused:

#7 ·
Asmodeus said:
Did I mention the cheapest? Anything I don't buy from Ebay I will buy from them. They saved my ass. Period.
Yeah. SBR's porting services are only $60.00. cheapest I could find.

#12 ·
Sam Sayes said:
LOL

Hi Mike
How have you been?
Long time no talk.
Polishing, you know it, the Galant is on vacation and the SRT-4 now
wow i polished the coolant lines and oil lines from the turbo.
Good to hear from you.
Speaking of, how do you like the SRT-4?

You really polished coolant and oil lines....... does not surprise me.......

I will be out for a few weeks, give me a call today or tomorrow... I can explain!

MGH

#13 ·
theboostking said:
Glad to see maybe SBR is turning a corner, they bent me over and took me for a ride, but hopefully they are now realizing that what they were doing to their loyal customers was wrong
We typically treat others the way we would like to be treated, always have.

In some cases, we treat others the way they treat us.

Its all relative, but we are the same company we were four years ago, just 17 more of us :)

MGH

#14 ·
SBR INC said:
Speaking of, how do you like the SRT-4?

You really polished coolant and oil lines....... does not surprise me.......

I will be out for a few weeks, give me a call today or tomorrow... I can explain!

MGH

I love it Mike, its a blast to drive.
Yes i polished everything that is possibly polishable and i cleared it as well.
Now i need your Waste Gate Actuator when I get my Stage one installed.
I will send you pics of the polished Goodies

#15 ·
SBR INC said:
We typically treat others the way we would like to be treated, always have.

In some cases, we treat others the way they treat us.

Its all relative, but we are the same company we were four years ago, just 17 more of us :)

MGH

Just to let you folks know, Mike Huml worked on My Galant VR-4 with excellent care and love for the car.
He even trailered my car from Pa to VA and vice versa.
i doubt he will do that again :D

#16 ·
Honestly, after going there. It doesn't suprise me.
Just don't tell them all the awesome (I'm not kidding... hands down nicest shit I've seen) head work they did I almost trashed when my T- slipped 2 days ago. It jumped 6 teeth and broke nothing.
:eek:
Everythings tightened back down now and being put back so I can drive it. The car feels like an animal. I rode in my friends bone stock Talon yesterday and even leaking boost mine was night and day. (Actuator rod popped off)
I attribute that mainly to the awesome head work and the 14b.
It spools instantly.

I even called a few days after I picked everything up to ask a "which way does this go" question... and got helpful info without any attitude at all.
Which, I probably would have given me for the DOH! nature of the question.
Again. Excellent. When I get it all sorted out I'm sure I'll be up to buy some goodies. :D

#17 ·
I don’t post much on DSM sites anymore. Mostly because I am too busy trying to break my own shit and learn the hard way. The other because I’m insanely busy. However I’ve been in the DSM game for a long time and have known Mike Huml since before SBR was even thought of. Remember those days mike?

What I’ve noticed is that in every case of SBR bashers the person pointing the finger needs to reexamine themselves. There are some downright rude people in this world. I know “the customer is always right” but there is a limit to this. This is especially true when the customer thinks he/she is right and is wrong and they f*** up parts. Only to point the finger at the vendor of course.

If you work in industry like I do, you realize one thing quickly. Treat your sales reps well and they will take care of you. You blow up a drive and need something overnighted no problem. However if you gave your rep like shit don’t expect them to bend over backwards for you. Also don’t expect them to bring donuts when they come to show off their new product lines.

In the DSM world there is unfortunately a lot of young kids who have mommy and daddy buy them parts. They are spoiled and rude.

#18 ·
And have never had to earn a damn thing in their life.
:rolleyes:
Sorry had to finish that one for you.
And here's a big thing as well.
People gripe about the work shops do.
Simple bolt on stuff - some moderate.
You should be doing it yourself (.)
How will you know anything about it to trouble shoot when it
eventually screws up. If you're serious enough to be
dropping major cash to go fast, your first expenditure should be time instead.
Time learning how to do it yourself.
Then you can blame yourself when it screws up.
And fix it. No offense to the quality of work done by any shop.
Esp. SBR. Not to mention some knowledge is beneficial when you try and communicate your goals with shops. If you know what you're talking about they will respect you. Since you're not wasting their time. Nobody will know everything, but every little bit helps. Another reason I like SBR, they know DSM's (.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.