DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

03 Evo Problems

9K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  MacGSX 
#1 ·
Ok well my best friend has an 03 evo and doesn't understand the concept of internet forums so I'm posting here to get some help. We've been trying to figure out whats wrong with his has for the past week and can't

It all started at englishtown at the showdown. He launched hard separating the boot from the cv axle. So we replaced the axle thinking everything is good.

Now the Problem: When the car is turned hard right or left it sounds like something is hanging up and making a clunk sound. It first started only doing it while turning and is now starting to do it when driving straight from a dead stop. We've checked the front cv axles, the ball joint, the drive shaft has no play, nothing is actually catching on anything. I'm completely lost, I told him it may be something in the trans but I have never worked on an EVO before so that was a shot in the dark.

Anyone?

#2 ·
Raise the front of the car and turn the front wheel, one wheel should turn the opposite direction of the other when you do so. It it doesnt turn or turns the same direction, something is wrong, likely the diff. ( This is going off foggy memory ).

#6 ·
Does it feel like a slipping clutch? Or what about like a front axel pops out and you loose power to the front wheels. (Give it gas and speedometer goes up then goes back down to catch)

#10 ·
See if the intermediate shaft was damaged.

(goes through the trans on the drivers side.)

I'm betting you have some T/C problems, or he damaged the intermediate shaft.

Dump the fluid in the T/C and see how much broken metal falls out with it.

#15 ·
Well update on the EVO. We drained the Tcase fluid and found no shavings. We filled the case back with Heavy shockproof and still have this LOUD clunk/click when turning. I don't know what else to tell him. It dives fine, doesn't slip and seems to be operational.

As for the intermediate shaft, I was unable to find one on the Evo, is it not like the 2g where it has a half shaft? It seems like there is just one long axle from the passenger side and then a shorter one for the driver side.

I know I sound like a newb talking here but this is the first EVO I've worked on :rolleyes:

Jordan

#16 ·
Let me bring this back up.

Talked to Jon and TRE and he said it's definitely the front diff. We drained the fluid from the trans and I've never seen so many metal shavings in gear oil.

THE PROBLEM: Removing the Transfer case

All the bolts are removed and we separated it from the trans but we can not get it completely off the sleeve/output from the trans. Is there a snap ring holding it or another trick to getting it off? We pulled, pried, banged, kicked and asked god to get it off but it won't come completely off :(

#21 ·
Is there a snap ring holding it or another trick to getting it off? We pulled, pried, banged, kicked and asked god to get it off but it won't come completely off :(

Slide hammer FTW.

Also when putting the half shaft back in, make sure the the open part of the snap ring is at 6 o'clock.

#30 ·
Paying for an evo transfer case will do that to you...

It's the reason I don't launch or track my evo anymore. Mine IS ACD... Plus I hurt the input shaft bearing at the track 2 summers ago making probably 60-80hp less than I am now... and haven't gone back since. It's only a matter of time before I have to deal with rebuilding the trans now, and I'm not pushing my luck. I do not have $ to burn or the down time since the evo is my only car right now. So I'm just not having any of it.

Sounds like he fubar'd the shit out of the x/case though. To bend the yoke it must have really been jammed up. It's not hard to clean off the spider gears. But to mash the whole thing up takes effort.

#32 ·
It's the reason I don't launch or track my evo anymore. Mine IS ACD... Plus I hurt the input shaft bearing at the track 2 summers ago making probably 60-80hp less than I am now... and haven't gone back since. It's only a matter of time before I have to deal with rebuilding the trans now, and I'm not pushing my luck.

I was going to ask you if you wanted to head back this year for your 10's? :(
No more racing? Maybe we can shoot for highest trap? You should still come up and race, you won't even need to launch to beat K-man's dyno queen. ;)

#33 ·
These are the kind of people I have learned to just nod my head and agree with. No sense trying to give them good advice, since it just turns into an argument.

So I am curious, what did he run, before breaking the shit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.