DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

VCE vs. Spool

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Stephen 
#1 ·
The car is a FWD running around 300-350hp, maybe a little over 400 by the time I get around to going AWD.

I have a 2g GST that I eventually plan on making an AWD (It's a spyder, and yes I do know what I'm getting into).

Right now it needs a transmssion, so instead of buying a decent FWD, I'm thinking of building an AWD so I only have to buy one transmission and I won't have to swap again when I do the conversion.

It sounds like a spool and a center diff are pretty much the same. I'm debating against this because I don't know that I'll want a locked diff at the end of the day (this would be a daily driver, and I'm not that serious about dragging).

So, I'm thinking of rebuilding the transmission, maybe even installing a 4 spider diff, and running a VCE until I go AWD...what I'm wondering is if the diff (stock or 4 spyder) will take a beating at that power level in FWD mode, or if I won't have anything to worry about?

Lastly, if I did install a spool, how much work would be involved to replace it with a center diff later on down the line? Is it like a VCE where I can get to it while the tranny is in the car?

See less See more
#2 ·
Get a quaife. I have helped push by hand a LOT of spool and a lot of locking diff RWD, AWD, and FWD cars. Its more difficult to push a spool. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Now you should be asking, why in the heck would I care how difficult it is to PUSH my car. Easy answer, its going to be more difficult for your car to PUSH itself down the track. A spool is better then an open diff hands down, but the strength and manners of a worm gear diff far outweigh anything offered by a spool IMHO.

#3 ·
I should have been more specific...this is for the center diff, not the front diff. The idea is that I'm looking for something I can run in FWD mode for now, and then AWD mode later on.

It seems that a spool would be the strongest, with a welded center being a close second. However, I would like to use the car as a daily driver so I wouldn't want any driveability issues when it's AWD.

That leaves me with the VCE, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to run a VCE for a few months at ~350hp without risking damage to the spyder gears. If anything, would the spyder gears wear or weaken or are there any potential negatives if locked in place with a VCE and driven hard for a while?

#5 ·
why not the cheap B&m 200$ lsd? I mean what are your speed/power goals for the car? If your just going to stay at 400hp I would just leave it and do the awd conversion and be happy :) Not that an lsd would ever hurt and just improve the car. And it being a spyder I doubt anyone would knock you for going awd with it. If I had a spyder I would make it awd and convert it to a talon :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.