DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1997-98 Eagle Talon Conversion Info

93K views 124 replies 48 participants last post by  tarantula 
#1 ·
For anyone that would like part numbers for the various 97-98 pieces, I have them here including prices. I'll be happy to help out the DSM community.

And as far as the parts here is a list....
Rear spoiler 97-98 Dealer part #MR236471 (Aftermarket is more expensive sometimes but I paid $270
If anyone has a site for the rear spoiler please post it for us:D
You will need 6 bolts. There are 6 mounting points on the spoiler. MS240141 $2 each
Rear Spoiler lamp MR245023 $70
You will need two screws for the lamp. If you have the "Thumbnail" spoier from 95-95 just take the two screws off of that spoilers lamp. There are three screws on the Thumbnails spoiler lamp.
The Eagle emblem for the front face bumper MR784377 $47 (Comes in colors. I chose silver 98 version to contrast the red)
On the rear "Eagle" name plate MR777706 $27
ON the rear "TSi" name plate MR777708 $9
On the rear "AWD" Nameplate MR777709 $11
The Front face bumper you should try to get from the junkyard. Dealer price is $389. (My shop paid $339)Part number is not necesary. There are only two bumpers and you have one of them.:D
Rear bumper as well try to find from junkyard. Mind you only about 10 97-98 talons were made per state (I was told)so finding it is hard. Rear bumper at dealer is $405. I wasn't going to change the rear but a trip to the junkyard at random prove to show me luck when a 96 talon was junked that same day I was there and it happen to have the rear bumper from 97-98. Costed me $150 for just the cover. (I had a huge :D as I forked over the $150)
One DSMer pointed out this site which you can try for the bumpers. WWW.Wholesalebumpers.com/eagle/talon.htm
The side slash moldings on Door (2 needed one for each side)MR758526 and MR758534 $96 each
The remaining part on the quarter panel (2 needed one for each side) MR758542 and MR758550 $40 each
My opinion is to find a car with these on. My local junkyard was selling them in black for $80 all 4. Great deal but the work involved in alligning them and drilling into the doors to install them was far greater. I like the smooth look anyways. Cleaner look.
The fog lamps are very different which includes modifiing your existing connectors to go with the new fog lamps. So you will end up trashing your old foglamps just to take off the wiring harness to transfer to the new ones.
The brackets are different as well. They are shorter and when you remove the old brackets on the passenger side you will have to remove the horn. I screwed the horn in a different location.
Fog lamps MR296282 and MR296281 $114 Each.
Brackets MR221616 and MR221615 $13 each
These brakets mount to the exact location as the old brackets. You can reuse the 4 screws you took off the old lamps. There are two white plastic clips that go into the brackets one clip for each bracket. I was fortunate that they came with one of the fog lamps (Their mistake)I ordered. But I dont have the numbers for that. Just make sure that the clips are with the brackets or the lamps (My clips were in the box for the lamp and I don't think they are free....You know how the dealer charges for everything!!! :eek:)

That should be everything. I was glad that there was a stupid driver to reward me with my dream as you can see it is very expensive to convert to the 1997-1998 version of the Talon.

Let me know if this helps you. good luck!!! Add as you wish with possible deals for the community in doing this conversion. All additions are welcome.
Also this thread is NOT an opinion, but rather a little info on the parts needed to do the conversion. I actually did this research and used it to do my conversion. If you have better deals other than the dealer post it. (Cause you know Satan robs you)

See less See more
#27 ·
why thanks tarantula. im buying a 2gb bumper on saturday and i had my old foglights kicking around so i thought they might work, and now i am know they wont work.

#29 ·
Wufei said:
How does the 2gb Talon front bumper look with the 2ga Talon sideskirts? Anyone have a pic? Also, are the 2ga and 2gb Talon rear bumpers the same height?
Look at my signature picture. I kept my 95 side skirts but did not do the slash molding. As for the rear bumpers, they are the same. The only difference is the side molding designs on both sides and the bottom portion tucks under the rear better. It also has molding designs like bumps.

#31 ·

this is mine taken with my phone

#33 ·
yup and yup

#35 ·
So wait a minute.. Do the 97-98 Talons have sideskirts? Cause some are tellin me they dont have sideskirts, but the picture above clearly shows a sideskirt on it.. Im confused :confused:

#37 ·
tarantula said:
Look at my signature picture. I kept my 95 side skirts but did not do the slash molding. As for the rear bumpers, they are the same. The only difference is the side molding designs on both sides and the bottom portion tucks under the rear better. It also has molding designs like bumps.
I thought the bottoms of the bumpers were a bit different. 97-98 had an up and down curvy design, while the 95-96 was straight accross, maybe I am wrong.

#38 ·
PC Talon said:
I thought the bottoms of the bumpers were a bit different. 97-98 had an up and down curvy design, while the 95-96 was straight accross, maybe I am wrong.
Personally I like the 97-98 up and down curvy design.. Does anyone happen to have a part number for those? Or where i can get one?

#39 ·
PC Talon said:
You got them flipped, 95-96 are up and down curvy, 97-98 are straight (unfortunately)

GSex, your best bet is to get it from someone who is selling it off their 2ga Talon (95-96)...unless you want to get it new from dealer

#40 ·
Wufei said:
You got them flipped, 95-96 are up and down curvy, 97-98 are straight (unfortunately)

GSex, your best bet is to get it from someone who is selling it off their 2ga Talon (95-96)...unless you want to get it new from dealer

I have a 2ga Talon and trust me it did not come with the up and down curvy skirts..

#41 ·
Kwik GSeX said:
I have a 2ga Talon and trust me it did not come with the up and down curvy skirts..
Well, I have a 2gb Talon and trust me it did not come with the up and down curvy skirts..:p But seriously, what did it come with? The straight skirts? I'm guessing you bought the car used, maybe the prev. owner swapped them?

#43 ·
ok i have decied that i wanted to put the 97-98 front bumper on my car and my friend knows of this place by us called certifit... well i just looked at how much you say the dealer chargers and almost shit myself lol.... i called the place by me and i can get the 97-98 front bumper cover for 46 buck and the rear bumper for 115... so i thought i would let everyone know.... they also have all the other parts for very low prices as the rest are..

#50 ·
These are the measurements you will need if you are doing the spoiler conversion. I needed these measurements and Tarantula was kind enough to get them for me along with pics! These are the measurements from his 98 Talon, so they are the factory locations.

7 3/4" from spoiler to edge

21 5/8" center from hatch door edge

On my car center is also the window molding split.

Its better to align these on both sides to get the middle measurement.

Hooked on to hatch its 17" exactly

Heres some pics of my conversion.

To get the old spoiler off I believe there were 3 screws holding the plastic cover on the inside of the hatch on. It is also held on by multiple clips. Once its off there are three nuts to unscrew. Also, disconnect the light. Now you can pull the spoiler off, but It is also held on by two clips and some Velcro. I just pulled on the spoiler for a bit and it came off.

The products I used to fill in the holes from the old spoiler-

To fill in the holes I used the fiberglass resin and mixed it with the hardener and put a piece of fiberglass in the container. Next you place the fiberglass piece over the holes from the inside of the hatch. There are 4 holes. Three of the holes are from the screws holding the spoiler on and the other is from the hole for the wires for the light. Also there are two more holes to fill in. On the top of the hatch there are two additional holes that do not go all the way through, they are from the clips that also hold the spoiler on. I stuffed the fiberglass in those two holes. Once the fiberglass dried I took a dremel to even out the holes on the top and then sanded around all 6 holes on the top. Next I put the fiber glue ( which you mix with the cream hardener) on top of all of the holes. Next, I sanded the top of the holes again and then I put on the glazing and spot putty, which is for thin holes (orange tube). Put a thin layer on, wait for it to dry, sand and repeat until the hole is completely gone. I used dupli color filler primer once it was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.