DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

What would cause the car to run rich?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  trbotsi 
#1 ·
There was a car in the classifieds, and the price is marked down signicantly because it runs rich. The ad also mentioned that it had a new turbo/manifold. Would this be caused by a bad o2 sensor? what else could be wrong?

#4 ·
There can be a lot of things that cause a car to run rich. As mentioned a larger fuel pump will obviously make it run more rich. An intake leak will obviously cause it to run rich. O2 sensor as mentioned if fouled will cause the car to run rich. My question is what caused him to think that it is running rich? Spark plugs? Exhaust pipe caked in black as well as the back bumper? O2 voltages? Exhaust smell? Backfiring? I'm just curious.

#5 ·
16g-95GSX said:
There can be a lot of things that cause a car to run rich. As mentioned a larger fuel pump will obviously make it run more rich. An intake leak will obviously cause it to run rich. O2 sensor as mentioned if fouled will cause the car to run rich. My question is what caused him to think that it is running rich? Spark plugs? Exhaust pipe caked in black as well as the back bumper? O2 voltages? Exhaust smell? Backfiring? I'm just curious.
He said black smoke and the smell of the exhaust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.