DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

GS-T OBD II scanner connection issue

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rocafellafw 
#1 ·
I'm having a issue with the OBD II Code reader/scanner I just purchased communicating with my car. I follow the directions fine and everytime it tries to find the protocol I get this error "Failed to establish communication - Verify the connection at the DLC. Verify the ignition is ON. And press any key."

I checked the power and grounds and it came up positive, ground at pins #4&5 and power at pin #16. I was told our cars use protocol ISO 9141 and my tool supports that.

The scanner is the Memoscan U581 "CAN OBD II". I tried to update the software but the website www.memoscan.cn is down and I'm unable to update.

The car: 1998 Eclipse GS-T (with 6-bolt swap, could that cause the issue ? )
The scanner works fine on a friends KIA, but just cannot connect with my car. Does anybody have any suggestions ?

#2 ·
Did you do the 6-bolt swap? Is it safe to assume that all sensors are connected properly? Is it still running the factory ECU?

I'm also assuming you had the car running... :D

I don't know much about the scanner you're using, since myself, as well as most others on this site use PocketLoggers or DSMLink.

#3 ·
The previous owner did the 6-bolt swap so I have no idea what ECU is in it. I'm not 100% sure about the sensors, what else needs to be hooked up in order for the scanner to communicate ? The car is running but not even close to right so I purchased the scanner so I could maybe get pointed in the direction of the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.