DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

BOV & Intakes???

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  97GSXSpeed4 
#1 ·
1st off I would like to say I've read so much stuff on this in the search forums my head is hurting!
These will be the 1st mods to a 99 GST. My sons car which he just bought.
Planning on a new intake.... probably the Injen, but can't figure out why I shouldn't just get the K&N FIPK.
From some suggestions it appears this will all be usless W/O a new BOV. True or Not?:confused:

If I need a new BOV will the 1G one fit or does it require some type of adapter? Maybe I should get an aftermarket one such as Greedy but I don't want to vent to the atmosphere.
Which aftermarket BOVs vent back to the intake, are easily set up, and work well with this set-up?

The only other mod will probably be an aftermarket muffler or cat-back system.

Thanks in advance for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would recommend thinking about the end result. Both my Intake and BOV have been replaced twice due to my upgrade path. Originally I thought - Hey I want a new intake and BOV so I picked up the Injen intake and Greddy Type S. Well the turbo I chose was the FP Green and needed a 3" intake so the Injen has now been replaced for a DejonTool 3" intake. In short I wasted money on that piece.
My Greddy Type S was very popular on the forum but gave me compressor surge, low throttle stutter, and fluttering. After reading and reading it seems many have this issue with the Greddy. It wasn't bad until the FP Green install. I have now replaced that with a TurboXS H34 BOV. If you are uncertain of how far you may upgrade your DSM, don't spend too much on those parts because you may replace again. Check out http://www.dejontool.com/ for the intake. I am using their 3" but that wont bolt up to your stock turbo. Check out dsmtrader.com for used parts or great deals. Good luck with the upgrades!

#3 ·
The 1G BOV is a good cheap upgrade but it will not bolt straight on. You either need an upper intercooler pipe that is flanged for the 1G CBV or you need an adapter flange made to let the 1G work on 2G intercooler pipes.

If you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future I would skip the Injen and go with the proven K&N. Like posted above, the injen hard pipe is usually tossed when people upgrade turbos and need something with a larger inlet. You will probably save a few bucks on the K&N as well.

#4 ·
ok. this is good info! i really do planned on getting my first mods soon, im still stock. :mad: but i planned on getting a 1g BOV (since it would be a cheaper upgrade) but i thought it was a straight bolt on (since i didnt hear anyone say anything about an adapter thing)

so what kind of a "flange" are we talking about? and would taking the 1g UPIC work? (for temp uses since it would be cheaper ripping it out of the 1g) and pricing of this entire mod? (used bov, adapter... etc)

#6 ·
WILD BILL said:
Buschurr racinghttp://http://www.buschurracing.com/order_parts_dsm.html has a 1G BOV with adapter for the 2G cars but it's $140:eek:
The bov will cost about 100. It is highly reccomended to get rid of the stock pipe exiting the ic(uicp). The factory pipe is very restrictive. That will be around 100.

Does your son talk on here? It is rare to see a father looking for info to mod his son's car?

#8 ·
The problem is that the 2G BOV flange is a slip fit type that slides into a port in the stock intercooler piping and is band clamped in place. The 1G bolts on with a standard flange.

The easiest way by far to get a 1G BOV on a 2G car is to upgrade the intercooler piping with something like the D. Brode pipe. I believe they are around $60.

I wouldn't pay $100 for a 1G BOV either. I paid $20 for mine at a junk yard. Shop around.

#12 ·
hmm im kinda skeptical about all this pipe stuff. probably real easy. but i dunno! i feel like i would mess something else (note: i havent modded anything yet), i think ill call up a local dsmer and have him help me.

#13 ·
MachV.com is a good page for reading up on these things but I would be a bit weary about purchasing. Check other price (as anyone should do anytime). You will need an upper intercooler pipe with an adapter to make the bov fit (any bov). ust ask the person selling he uip to give you the adaptor for the bov you are getting.

#14 ·
I mean if you just want something cheap that will suffice without putting a hole into your pocket, just pick up the DejonTool intake pipe for like $30, and then for like $120 just get the K&N. The 1G BOV can be found for way less than $100 just like everyone said (got mine for $50), and then intercooler piping ranges from like $75 for the Brode, to like $250 for the Buschur complete. It's all up to you and how much money you want to spend. Good luck, and it's pretty cool that you are a dad posting on here about your son's car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.