DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

How many miles on your 1.8?

29K views 131 replies 78 participants last post by  cheapold280ce 
#1 ·
Well just trying to get some action going in this forum. So how many miles on your 1.8l? I have a 91 with 103,000. I had to do the head gasket and head job at 100,000. Body underneath is really starting to rot :mad: . What do you guys have?

#53 ·
ran good till it blew another headgasket at 118k.. then decided it was time to pull the engine for a rebiuld. I havnt been able to finish due to it needing to much machine work.. wasnt worth it.. now i have 97 eclipse and dont have the time or money to put another engine in it. but id like to get her running again, i miss the low end power it had along with the reliabilty! And i defiantly miss the way the exhaust sounded on it, it sounded like a beast! i have yet to find any car that had a deep rumbled like my 1.8 did! but hopely she'll be runnin soon

#59 ·
I want a 1.8 DSM for a daily. Five speed of course. I love all DSMs; I don't care if it doesn't have a 4g63 in it. I'd bring that bad boy up tp 100% with maintainence and make my own intake. Then drive it proudly. Ah, I'd prolly lower it and put some 2g or 3g wheels on it, too!

#65 ·
toland03 said:
What is the lifter?
There are eight of them, one for each valve, and they are filled with motor oil, hence they are called 'hydrolic lifters'. Basically, your cam is driven by the crankshaft via the timing belt. As the cam spins around, the little lobes on the cam are going up and down in sequence. The lobes contact these little roller things on the 'rockers', which rock up and down as the lobes mandate. One the other end of each rocker you will find a small hydrolic lifter inside, acting like a little cusion, as the rocker arm pushes down on the lifter and the lifter pushes on the end of each valve, forcing it open. Sometimes some dirt or other debris can get in between where the lifter contacts the valve stem, and this causes damage to it. That is what causes the little ticking sound you hear. Its not a major problem, just an annoyance. They aren't that hard or expensive to replace either. Just look under your valve cover, and you'll get a better understanding of this.

Ohh, and to stay on topic, I have about 212K now on the engine i rebuilt.

#66 ·
Slownis said:
There are eight of them, one for each valve, and they are filled with motor oil, hence they are called 'hydrolic lifters'. Basically, your cam is driven by the crankshaft via the timing belt. As the cam spins around, the little lobes on the cam are going up and down in sequence. The lobes contact these little roller things on the 'rockers', which rock up and down as the lobes mandate. One the other end of each rocker you will find a small hydrolic lifter inside, acting like a little cusion, as the rocker arm pushes down on the lifter and the lifter pushes on the end of each valve, forcing it open. Sometimes some dirt or other debris can get in between where the lifter contacts the valve stem, and this causes damage to it. That is what causes the little ticking sound you hear. Its not a major problem, just an annoyance. They aren't that hard or expensive to replace either. Just look under your valve cover, and you'll get a better understanding of this.
Thanks. I feel so blonde, I knew what those are, the name just didn't ring a bell.

+1 on the definition too.

#72 ·
Talked to a friend of mine in UTAH since he knows that I own an Eclipse, he told me that he had a 91 base Eclipse that he bought new and just sold it a couple of years ago to a fellow worker..which the thing now has over 375,000 miles on it ... still running great, with the usual valve seal replacements that were done and belt changes when needed, plus the oil changes to keep it in running condition. Still holds oil real well...

#75 ·
my 94 went up to 164,000 before i ever had to replace anything on, and it was a timing belt i had to replace other than that everything was still the original part, including the clutch, it was totaled at around 180k, damn female drivers, but that was like 6 years ago, i got a 93 eclipse now, had 109k when i bought it, now has 116k, only had it for two and a half months, running strong, and was just in an accident, hit a car doing about 50, surprised my car wasnt totaled, my front end was pretty fucked up, but its still drivable, no engine damage or anything, just body, so hopefully i get the insurance check sometime soon to get it fixed

#76 ·
Well I sold mine a few years back, but when I did it had about 220,000 on it. Pretty reliable, long-lasting engines.

I had done quite a few repairs on other stuff, I think mostly it was because the previous owner neglected it though and made poor repairs (like a bad clutch install that failed on me when driving, umm a leak in the radiator that I didn't see when i bought it)...ECU (of course)..and starter, battery. Oh and then the blower fan died (I was always running the fan so it's not a big suprise).

But I have to say the 1.8 is a pretty reliable little engine if you even take half-ass good care of it. And though it's not really that fast, they are peppy, and the top speed is about the same as any other DSM. And I did get at least 1 speeding ticket in that car. I was always getting pulled over in that thing...:) Black little biatch..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.