DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

96 Talon Overdrive(automatic)

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  91Bluebird 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just curious if anyone would know why my overdrive isn't kicking in. At least I believe that is the problem. If i'm going up a hill, my car has a very tough time shifting....and getting up the hill. My car isn't too bad on the highway, but still noticed that it's very hard to get it into the higher gears. I've heard some people say about the "overdrive unit" maybe being bad, and was wondering if that could be it, as well as other possible things. If it is the overdrive unit, I was curious on where one could be bought, how much, and how hard are they to install....sorry for all the questions, but i've just put a new motor in the car, and just want it running the way it should. thanks for the help!

#4 ·
mitsutal96 said:
Also, i can't hit the gas hard, otherwise the motor will go up to sometimes 6-7000 rpm before switching....The transmission was just rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago, and is not beat at all, so I'm imagining it's just something from the overdrive?
If it was just rebuilt it would have had the O/D clutch pack replaced. That is part of rebuilding a trans. I would take it back to the place that did the work most places will cover warranty for 12,000 or 12 months, some do better. I cover the ones that I do for 12 months with unlimited miles, but that is me.

#5 ·
mitsutal96 said:
Also, i can't hit the gas hard, otherwise the motor will go up to sometimes 6-7000 rpm before switching....The transmission was just rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago, and is not beat at all, so I'm imagining it's just something from the overdrive?
That's just the trans kicking down a gear which is normal.

#6 ·
nano said:
If it drives fine with OD off then it's a problem with OD. If there's still problems with the tranny with OD off, then there's something wrong with the rebuild.
Also, a bit more news. I was taking it on the highway today(speedlimit 65), and it went up there fine, but it seems to be having trouble getting into 4th gear. It was at about 70 mph at 4,000 rpm, and 65 at about 3,500. I was thinking of possibly getting the tranny flushed and see what that does, otherwise maybe have it look at because I'm clueless with transmissions. It goes nicely around town or on highways with 55mph speedlimits, but i was just a bit afraid on the 65mph speedlimit, because I don't want to harm the motor which has just been remanufactured. All the help is very appreciated. :)

#7 ·
mitsutal96 said:
Also, a bit more news. I was taking it on the highway today(speedlimit 65), and it went up there fine, but it seems to be having trouble getting into 4th gear. It was at about 70 mph at 4,000 rpm, and 65 at about 3,500. I was thinking of possibly getting the tranny flushed and see what that does, otherwise maybe have it look at because I'm clueless with transmissions. It goes nicely around town or on highways with 55mph speedlimits, but i was just a bit afraid on the 65mph speedlimit, because I don't want to harm the motor which has just been remanufactured. All the help is very appreciated. :)

You're in 3rd gear based on those rpm/mph figures and personally I wouldn't drive over 55 mph until getting 4th gear working. I definately would say it's not good for the motor to run at 4,000 rpm's continuously.

#8 ·
hey im having sort of the same problem also. recently the overdrive button doesnt work. when you press it the light on the cluster doesnt turn on and you cant feel any difference when the button is pressed. i dont know to much about a auto trans or overdrive systems. can some one please tell me what can be going on. the car now clunks loudly when putting in reverse since the overdrive is always on. before the car ran fine with it off. so i just wanna find out how to get it to work again???

#9 · (Edited)
Turbo_Drop_Top said:
hey im having sort of the same problem also. recently the overdrive button doesnt work. when you press it the light on the cluster doesnt turn on and you cant feel any difference when the button is pressed. i dont know to much about a auto trans or overdrive systems. can some one please tell me what can be going on. the car now clunks loudly when putting in reverse since the overdrive is always on. before the car ran fine with it off. so i just wanna find out how to get it to work again???

When the button is pressed in it is on and that is where it belongs.

Overdrive is 4th gear and you have a 4-spd automatic so you definately want and need to have that button pressed in so your car can shift from 3rd to 4th gears.

When that button is not pressed in you subsequently will not shift into 4th gear (O/D).
The O/D button is convenient in that it allows for easy thumb action to either downshift to 3rd or hold 3rd before upshifting.

If what you're saying is that you were driving around in 3rd gear (O/D button out) that is definately not good at all because at highway speeds your engine would be turning much too fast which causes unnecesssary engine wear and horrible gas mileage.

The light on the gauge cluster is an indictor light only so if it doesn't work all that means is the bulb has burned out. You can tell whether O/D is 'ON' by either looking at or feeling the button, counting gear shifts, and/or looking at your vehicle speed and the tach (ie, my 1g N/T @ 60mph = 2400rpm )

Having the O/D button in or out (on/off) should not have any affect at all on shifting into reverse. At least not on a properly running car.

#11 ·
Turbo_Drop_Top said:
the big problem is that when i hit the button u cant feel a change before you felt it now nothing and the light doesnt turn on ne more and i changed the bulb also

Do you know how many gears you actually have? I mean when you start out from a standstill and count the gear changes do you actually wind up no higher than 3rd or does it make it into 4th gear?
When you're cruising easy at 60mph what are your rpm's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.