DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

How to Fluid Test a 4G63 Cylinder Head

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  yanawa5678 
#1 ·
How to fluid test a 4G63 Head

This is a simple and quick way to check for seat and valve seal.

First clean the head by the method of your choosing.

Once the head is cleaned, blow the runners out with compressed air to remove any carbon, oil or crud that can give a “false” seal.

Next lay the head with the runners up, and the valves facing you. I am starting on the intake side.

Now get a jug of fluid, I am using water.

Now here is the hard part….. Pour the fluid in the runners, one at a time.

Now that all four runners are filled with fluid.

Now look at the valves in the combustion chamber, no fluid. All is dry. This side is good and the intakes are sealed well.

Now flip the head over, and fill the exhaust runners.

Take note that you will have to plug the EGR passage so the fluid will stay in the runner.

Look at the fluid pour out past the valve, there is an issue that needs to be looked into. It is a bent valve.

Notice how the runner on the left of the divider still holds fluid, but the one on the right is empty. This is cylinder #4. If the left side will not hold fluid, check to make sure you have blocked off the EGR passage.

If you used water, blow the excessive water out with compressed air.

Then with WD-40

Spray WD-40 in the runners to inhibit rust formation on the valve stems.

Now at this point any valve sealing issues can be addressed and fixed.

See less See more
#10 ·
Looks like I have been here for about 3 years, I guess that gets me around the "lurker rule" LOL

I planned on sneaking into the shop today and work on your head, and touch up a few details on a few other projects. So I could call you so you could be bolting on your head this eve. But I had to call the cops, seems some crack heads decided they needed some things from inside my fence line between 6ish sat eve and 9:30 this morn.

So I lost a few hours dealing with the police and doing fence repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.