DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

electric exhaust cutout on factory d/p?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  terrible 
#1 ·
I was thinking today (dangerous I know) and the thought of using one of those electric exhaust cuttouts in a new way. I still have my factory exhaust and would love a nice three inch system but they are so damn expensive.

Well a few weeks ago I found a post on here about those electric exhaust cuttouts. The guy on trucks on tnn also installed a few of them on this bad ass truck. Well what if I was to install one about an inch past the flex on a factory d/p? Would this be as good as running two and a half inch exhaust?

I know I couldn't keep it open all the time but just for late night back road rally runs. I belive theose c/o cost about 150 bucks. I could cut and install it in the exhaust myself and save even more money. Would this be worth it or should i save my lunch money and buy an exhaust?

#3 ·
Cutouts are cool, we have one on our TTA. I wish I had an electric one for my Talon.

#5 ·
Here is a writeup on my electric cutout:
http://www.martincheck.com/MPP_cutout.html

I've had a few reliability problems with it, vendor support has been ok.
1) switch broke, they sent me a free replacement (good)
2) screws backed out of the plate, vendor told me to fix it myself (I managed to find new screws, it was cheap, but a little bit of a pita).
3) Just now a wire popped off the electric motor. It appears to be attached to some fancy white resistor, I'll post more as I find out more, if there is interest. I haven't had much time to look into it due to the fact I just found out my ACT clutch disk is defective.

Web site to buy one:
http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

-Martin
cwf95gsx16g

#8 ·
The MPP comes with the motor and the plate. You have to buy the actual Y-pipe separately with the MPP (the qtec includes the ypipe).

My MPP cost about $100, I got the 3" unit to go into an RRE 2.5
-> 3" downpipe, then it necks down to the stock cat and stock exhaust.

I think the qtec and the MPP are pretty much equivilant, the qtec just comes with a Y pipe attached. I used the $25 summit racing Ypipe, it worked just fine, total cost was a little less than the qtec, not that it matters.
-Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.