DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

6 Speed tranny

12K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  heppm01 
#1 ·
Has shep or TRE ever try to make a 6 speed for the DSM? If they can make new gears adn shift forks, why couldnt they just add another gear, aside from space issues(thinner gears or shift forks maybe).

I was on the freeway today and at 85mph, the damn car is revving like 5500rpm or something crazy like that in 5th gear. Definatley could use a 6th gear.

Thomas
90 TSi AWD

#5 ·
Even with the 6 speed that they put in Evo's, the last gear isn't taller than the fifth gear in the 5 speed. The 6 speed has its advantages in road racing but for road use a 5 speed is all we need. TRE does make a taller fifth gear, perhaps you should call them.

#9 ·
dsmskyline said:
It may not be that high, it just seemed high. Ill pay more attention tomorrow on my way to work.

Would having a 6 speed help on the track at all? Seems shorter gears would rev faster and help getting up to speed faster.

Thomas
90 TSi AWD
The 6 speed gives you more options to keep the car within the powerband.

#10 · (Edited)
french_hustler said:
Your clutch must be slipping or something. 5500 at 85? Damn.
humm at 60 mine (when it was on the road with the new clutch installed) ran at 3000. lets see At 85 you should be.... thinking doing easy ass math 70 should be at 4 grand and yeah 80 should be at 5 so 5500 should be right for 85.

Is it possible that the 2gs have a wider gear ratio so you dont have to be up in the rpms as much.:dunno:

#15 ·
punisher said:
Even with the 6 speed that they put in Evo's, the last gear isn't taller than the fifth gear in the 5 speed. The 6 speed has its advantages in road racing but for road use a 5 speed is all we need. TRE does make a taller fifth gear, perhaps you should call them.
Sorry to hijack, but what about the 5 speed evo's? I'm gonna go search some evo websites now.

#20 ·
Just some information, The 5 Speed in the 06 Evo IX's get better Gas Milage then the 6 Speed 06 MR.

That Extra gear isnt always worth it. :D

The 5th gear in my Evo is pretty up in RPM's too sorta but not that bad. I cruise around 80 MPh and i think my RPM's are about 4000 or so. I get around 23-25MPG highway and 19-20MPH city depending on my Driving :D

But seriously, go do a drive and check those rpms again cause something is seriously wrong if ur taching that high.

-Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.