DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

So why the hell did battery acid spray everything under my hood?

12K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  1badgvr4 
#1 ·
Sup guys, I justr put in a BRAND new battery today and terminals and has replaced my alternator about a month ago.

I drove the car around today on a hot day for about 2 hours applying for jobs so it was alot of driving..and it ran just fine. I park the car at my house and pop the hood to let it cool down a bit faster and I notice...WTF this cap from my battery is completely blown off and there is acid sprayed all over the top of the hood (Not a stupid amount but you can see where it ate the paint).

*This isnt my actual battery but one of those caps that say "danger poison etc" was blown off and I found it in the engine bay.
I have no clue how long I was driving it liek this BUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!, car was running fine and had no voltage issues going on. I did notice my windows were rolling up extra fast:confused: , but AHHH What the hell.

I wiped up most of the acid with somewater and there is minimal damage but still help!!

See less See more
#27 ·
I was told I just need to drain the battery alot (Its at 13.6V not turned on) and that fire it up and see where the alt charged.

But liek I said I have bigger problems now :rolleyes:

#28 ·
White91TalonTsi said:
I was told I just need to drain the battery alot (Its at 13.6V not turned on) and that fire it up and see where the alt charged.

But liek I said I have bigger problems now :rolleyes:
You were told wrong. The battery should be sitting closer to 12v with the car off and not charging. That 13.6 is close to idle voltage so that's way to high for just sitting. Voltage regulator is fucked.

#29 ·
Voltage regulator on the car or on the alternator? (is there one on the wiring?). Ill fiddle with it somemore today...

#31 ·
White91TalonTsi said:
Voltage regulator on the car or on the alternator? (is there one on the wiring?). Ill fiddle with it somemore today...

As Rippin said there is no fiddling with it. In my previous post where i described what happened when my regulator went bad I forgot to tell the rest of the story.

I changed the alternator on the Probe and drove it again. Within 5 min it was doing the same thing again. I ended up taking it to a shop and there ended up being a short in the wiring that caused the regulators to keep frying.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps you in the long run.

bryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.