DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Strange noise in front of car when decelerating

7K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  kreclipse99 
#1 ·
My car is a 96 Spyder with of course the 2.4. Its a manual. When I am engine braking, I get this strange noise from the front of my car. It sounds like a resonating sound from the exhaust, but I tried my friends cat back system with no axle back, still there. I now have my cat removed and have a test pipe in along with a brand new axle back. I have a custom made, by a muffler shop, downpipe with a flex section... I cannot find the source of the sound and its hard to picture it without hearing it I know... The weird part is that you can only hear it while driving. Free revving does not do it. I know its not a whole lot of info but if someone thinks they know what it could be, chime in please, ask questions and I will tell you what I can. Help me figure this out cause it is driving me completely crazy.

#4 ·
I cannot record it as my exhaust is very loud. I have been under my car many of times bashing around the exhaust and trying to find out the sound but no dice. Its only from 2.7k and up. I even still have the stock header mount that attaches to the engine there. But I will continue to look at everything. I have pulled off all my heat shields as they love to get rusty and break and rattle. I still have the floor heat shield and as I remember, every one of my mounts are still perfect. But thanks for the help, its one of those things, I know its hard to picture unless you heard it and Dsmbob, you are the closest to the sound so I will deff check it out.

#5 ·
Sounds like it's just the resonance of the exhaust. What kind of exhaust is it my buddy had a cheap ebay exhaust and it was so loud it resonated really bad. If you want to rule it out and still have the stocker switch it up and see if it still makes the noise.

#6 ·
My exhaust is stock. Besides the test pipe and axle back. I tried my friends entire exhaust system and it sounded the same. The noise on mine just happened one day out of the blue. I changed nothing and it started making the noise, I thought it was the cat was clogged so I changed it out, still no dice. I then thought it was the stupid 1.5 in piping to a corolla muffler for an axle back that the previous owner put on, so I cut it off and ran it open axle to see if the noise was still there, and yes it was. It now has a stock piping diameter axle back with a megan racing tip cause it was free.

#7 ·
Just for search archive sake, my noise came from loose starter bolts. My car loves to rattle bolts loose and well, this time my reman starter, that they put a heli coil in, the heli coil came out with my bolt and caused it to rattle big time. It eventually snapped my other bolt and I know now how hard it is to find these bolts.... For help, the bolts for the starter are M10 x 1.25 x 60. Thanks for all the help guys.

#23 ·
AAAA UNBELIEVABLE! I think i might have the same problem, I am going to check after work to see if it is the bolts. I got the sound right after a shop changed the timing belt couple weeks ago. I went back there, and they were like: You have to go to an exhaust place to fix the sound:dunno: It is coming from vibrations, they said. Motherfu**** probably did not tighten some bolts :tat:

#9 ·
I always try to do, because I am forgetful and if it happens years down the road I like I know I can search for the problem lol. Also newbies can search once they learn how to click the search button...

#11 ·
I was wanting to get another supra. Cory found one for me but right now Supras are out of my price range since my wife got hurt on the job and can't work... Oh and some how free dsms keep falling into my lap and they run perfect minus a few small things haha.

Haha, and same join date too lol.

#18 ·
I was the one who didnt know I could swap out hot sides instead of buying a new turbo because a bolt was broke. Ha, what a NOOB.

How you like the 2.4 in that spyder?

#20 ·
Don't feel bad. That 16G was cursed man, I kid you not no matter what housing I put on it, it broke a bolt off in the housing. :p

If it's any consolation to you though, the guy I sold it to slapped it on his Stealth(with another Evo 3 16G) and I think put down 600+awhp. :) Blue housing and all. :p

#19 ·
Lol, eh, new is always better haha. I actually love the 2.4, its very fun. Needs more power but its perfect for a daily. My stock gst turbo stuff I am buying from everyone is going on it shortly. Running stock boost, all I need. Until.... Hehe.

#22 ·
It was a beast on the TSI AWD too. :D Only reason I sold it was because I was parting the car out at the time. I would've regretting selling it, but I got another 16G from Brenten(Gray91GSX). ;)

But, we should stop spamming this thread. I can feel the moderators breathing down my neck already...and I'm all out of vaseline. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.