DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Viper Alarm and Apex-i TT

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  wildfire0310 
#1 ·
Okay:
I have an older Viper alarm...got it in 97 or so...that loves to fight with my TT. If I turn the key to the off position, the alarm thinks since the car is still running that the doors should remain locked. If I unlock the doors, get out, and lock the doors before closing them.....when the TT cuts the car off, the doors unlock. Is there someway to disable the auto unlock function on the alarm when the car turns off, or something like this.....

--Mods...feel free to move this to electronics if you want.

#2 ·
Man,

i have the same problem. I have a Viper 800esp alarm with everything... and i have the same problem. I turn of the ignition and the turbo timer keeps the car running and when the car shuts off my alarm opens the door locks. When i first got my alarm installed when i would go places and come back to my car it was always open. I am glad no one stole anything, Hell my stereo alone cost me $4,000. SO i am now cautious until i can figure it out.

#3 ·
Solution (essay, have fun reading!)

Simple problem. The alarm has a wire that is used to sense when the key is in (KEY SENSE wire). Typically yellow, but wire colors vary with different alarms so yours might not be the same. Check the installation manual for your alarm.. most manufacturers have them on their websites.

Anyway, if your turbo timer is installed correctly, you'll notice that the Accessory circuit (radio, cig lighter) goes dead when you take the key out and the timer starts counting down. That's because the turbo timer is supposed to keep the Ignition1 (motor/ECU) and Ignition2 (radiator fans, heat/vent/AC) powered while it is counting down. Verify that the Accessory circuit goes dead during timer countdown before proceeding.

What you need to do is take the alarm's key sense wire and move it from Ignition1 onto Accessory. What that does is, when you turn the key OFF and the timer starts, Accessory goes dead and the alarm thinks you've shut the car off. Doors will unlock (if you have auto lock-unlock on your alarm), and you'll be able to arm the alarm while the timer counts down.

The only drawback to this solution is that the alarm can arm while the timer is counting down. That means if your sensors are set too sensitive, the running engine will set the alarm off. There are ways to interrupt the sensors while the timer is counting down, but that's a different project. ;)

Just so you're armed with some info, here's your key switch diagrams..

1G:
WHITE (Constant +12v)
BLUE (Accessory)
BLACK/WHITE (IGN1)
BLUE/BLACK (IGN2)
BLACK/YELLOW (Starter)

2G:
WHITE (Constant +12V)
BLUE/BLACK (Accessory)
BLACK/WHITE (IGN1)
BLUE (IGN2)
BLACK/RED (Starter)

Always check to make sure the wire colors on the chart are correct before using it.. verify with voltmeter before installing. Standard stuff, do at your own risk, blah blah blah. :D

Let me know if that fixes it...

#4 ·
Re: Solution (essay, have fun reading!)

James92TSi said:

2G:
WHITE (Constant +12V)
BLUE/BLACK (Accessory)
BLACK/WHITE (IGN1)
BLUE (IGN2)
BLACK/RED (Starter)

Always check to make sure the wire colors on the chart are correct before using it.. verify with voltmeter before installing. Standard stuff, do at your own risk, blah blah blah. :D

Let me know if that fixes it...
Well I have a 97 AWD and the above got me very far...except with mine the BLUE/BLACK wire was the IGN2 and the BLUE wire was my ACC. I have a Sidewinder 6000(made by DEI). Iwas going nuts until I got out my voltmeter...technique only :rolleyes:

Works great though. Thanks

#6 ·
I'm about to order my Greddy Full Turbo Timer soon w/ harness. I kinda do want the alarm to work with the turbo timer because if I'm running late to class, I don't want to be waiting for it to shut off (I know I can lock the doors manually but that defeats the purpose of having an alarm). I want to try doing that wiring stuff to be able to arm my alarm while it's idling but my alarm is waaaay sensitive. I got it installed at Best Buy (big mistake) and I don't know where they put the shock sensor so I don't know how I'm going to turn down the sensitivity.

If I was to do the wiring without adjusting the sensitivity of my alarm, it will go off the second the alarm engages (10 sec delay). So I'm kind of leaning more towards just installing the alarm without doing any wiring to fix the alarm incompatibility. And I'll end up waiting beside my car instead of sitting in it from now on. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
2gentsi said:
I'm about to order my Greddy Full Turbo Timer soon w/ harness. I kinda do want the alarm to work with the turbo timer because if I'm running late to class, I don't want to be waiting for it to shut off (I know I can lock the doors manually but that defeats the purpose of having an alarm). I want to try doing that wiring stuff to be able to arm my alarm while it's idling but my alarm is waaaay sensitive. I got it installed at Best Buy (big mistake) and I don't know where they put the shock sensor so I don't know how I'm going to turn down the sensitivity.

If I was to do the wiring without adjusting the sensitivity of my alarm, it will go off the second the alarm engages (10 sec delay). So I'm kind of leaning more towards just installing the alarm without doing any wiring to fix the alarm incompatibility. And I'll end up waiting beside my car instead of sitting in it from now on. :rolleyes:
try going to the best buy that you got the alarm installed and ask them to show where that localed the senor. They should do it free of change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.