DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

fire wall

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  NightriderAWD 
#1 ·
i am going to run a power cable to an amp for a 12in mtx blue thunder sub that i want to put in my "trunk", so my question is: where is the easiest place to drill through the fire wall so that i can run the wire to the inside. Or is there some other way i should run the wires?

#2 ·
It depends on what guage wire you are going to run (8 ga.,4ga.,2ga.,etc), you only need one, power. Do you have a 1g or 2g?

#3 ·
I ran my wire on the passenger side, there is a pritty big rubber grommet already there, all I had to do was smush the power wire into it along with the cars stock wiring, then run it to the trunk. Alot easier than drilling a new hole, and end up drilling into the ECU or something :(

#4 ·
i tried using that grommet for existing wires for mine but i couldnt fit two 8 guage lines through.
I drilled a hole in the firewall on the passenger side a little to the drivers side of the battery and way down.
It worked pretty well.
by the way this is in a 1G, not sure about 2G's.

#5 ·
On the 1g if you look right below the brake booster you will see a greyish grommet when i think the speedometer cable goes thruogh if you dont want to drill holes you can pop out the grommet and put all neccesary wiring through it. So far i have 2-4guage 1-10guage no problem!

#6 ·
yup, its a 1G. So does the gromet behind the brake have just a wire running through it, or something bigger?
also, i read somewhere that running the power wire with the remote wire could cause some interference, or was it with the rca cables...
anyway, thanks for the help

#7 ·
No, it is just the speedo? cable(someone correct me if i am wrong) .
Do not run your rca cord with your power wire. The rca will pick up noise(the infamous altenator whine) always run your speaker and rca along the opposite side of the car.

#9 ·
It is off to the left and about 6 in down. Look for a grey grommet with a cable from the tranny going through it. I looked at my 93 and 91 and they both have the grey grommet. It is about 1.5 in. in diameter. If you look from inside the car the cable goes through the firewall and to the dash. If you look in the faq they might even have a pic to help you out that is where i found out about it from..
Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.