DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Changing front brakes, advice pls!

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gstguy97 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 eclipse GST with 180k miles on it. I am the only owner and its time to change the brakes. I dont usually do it myself, but will be doing so this time around. I want to see if you folks could give me some advice on the parts. Im thinking I need pads and rotors, they feel warped because when I brake from 40mpg+, the last 10 feet or so the car vibrates and shakes. there is also alot of black dust on the front rims.

For the pads, does the brand matter or is any brand good? Does it matter much if I go semi metallic or ceramic?

And for the rotors, does brand matter? or should I look for a specific type?

The eclipse is completely stock. I havent modified anything and dont race it or do anything crazy so I dont think I need to spend extra $ for super performance. I just want good reliability and longevity from these parts.

Suggestions?

#6 ·
Red,

I drive a 1g (1991) eclipse gsx with the dual piston calipers in the front. I believe these were issued on the 1994 eclipse gsx's if I am not mistaken. Again, when I use the compatibility tool for the last ad you referenced, I get this:

"This part is not compatible with 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Hatchback 2-Door 2.0L 1997CC 122Cu. In. l4 GAS DOHC Turbocharged."

The ad looks like they are the correct rotors? I am looking for a full set of rotors and pads for my car, as I have needed to do ALL general maintenance after purchasing the car from the previous owner. However unfortunate that may be, I want to make sure that I'm sourcing the correct parts.

Thanks for the info so far.

-Scott

#7 ·
I was only speaking to your question about 1995. You can find that same combo for a 1g AWD. I should know. I have my 91 with the dual piston upgrade on the front. I had no problems finding a rotor set, just look for 93-94 AWD rotors. It'll pop up in e-bay. I know Brake Motive has what you're seeking. You can just shoot them a call or question to ask for a rotor/pad combo. I'm sure they'll hook you up with whatever you need. Communication is key!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.