DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

How to disassemble a 1g awd 5 speed transmission

20K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  J_DiZ 
#1 ·
I was taking some pictures of a transmission that i am in the process of rebuilding and i though that i'd make a documentary on steps to disassemble and assemble the transmission:

Step 1: Remove all bolts from the end cover and remove the end cover (this might require a rubber hammer and a little prying to get off.

before

After

Step 2: Remove the 2 nuts on the ends of the shafts, and the snap ring on the viscous coupler, next remove the roll pin in the 5th gear shift fork, now you can remove the 5th gear assembly and the viscous coupler (be careful there is a little ball bearing in the center diff shaft that the viscous coupler slides over, make sure to remove that and set it aside. At this point you can remove the transfer case output shaft also.

5th gear and viscous coupler removed

Removing output shaft

Step 3: Remove the 3 shift selector nuts, springs and balls

Step 4: Remove the bearing plate from the end of the tranny case and remove center diff
This is the bearing plate

REmove center diff

Step 5: Remove the reverse idler retaining bolt from the back side of the trans case, remove all case bolts that hold the top to the bottom.

Step 6: Carefully pry the top casing from the bottom and remove the reverse idler gear

Step 7: At this point you can remove the front differential, and the diff drive gear assembly

Step 8: Remove the roll pins on the 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks and remove the input and intermediate shaft's

Now you can remove the shift rails and go onto cleaning and measuring everything for reassembly. I will have pics of me doing the gear sets and reassembling everything in the next week. Hope this is helpful so someone out there.

See less See more
#12 ·
Haha nice write up! I took apart my trans about a year ago cause of no 2nd gear...

I never touched a motor/trans before and now I can take it apart! This would of been helpful back in the day!

I have better pics I took.. If a mod wants to add them in or something

#18 ·
Tim I also sent you an email from your website. I've got a couple questions for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.