DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Just got sponspored, Need to find wide body kit.

5K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  gsxguy98 
#1 ·
I just got a $12,000 sponsorship for my 1995 Talon but I need help finding a wide body kit for it. I found one at powertoyz.com but I was just wondering if anyone knew of where I could find other kits. Or if anyone has any ideas of what I should do that would be great. I'm thinking about painting my car white, with a Evo Carbon fiber hood and gunmetal wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#4 ·
question:
of the $12,000 you got for the car... do you HAVE to use it on a widebody kit? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if they require you to take that route, i guess its a different story...but id like to go to a show one day and see a DSM that can perform not just sit there with some 12pc widebody kit and suupermadtyte lite glow all over

-EE

#7 ·
search i know ive seen one. looks ugly IMO tho, 12k could be better invested i think. 97-98 conversion, new paint, sick motor, tranny build, just a clean setup, could always go bling in engine/interior, volk rims or somethin ;)

#10 ·
I've thought about doing the 97-98 upgrade with a stroker motor and shepracing tranny. I have talked to the company that is sponsoring me and they were looking for a car that is stock and to build up for show with products they can get which is about anything that I want. How can you guys say I'm getting scammed when you don't even know what your talking about.

#11 ·
most the time when cars get sponsored, they are far from stock, and to shop/company gives them money for travel and entry expenses for car shows. In return, you advertise their product/shop with stickers and such... either way.. your lucky for the sweet deal

#13 ·
FYI - make sure you have it in writing that the car and items remain YOUR property... sounds silly but they ive you 12K, you work the car together then they sue you and take your ride, could be a free labor, free stock deal for them.. for that kind of money its worth talking to a lawyer for 500 bucks.. Other than that its a sweet deal

#14 ·
Thats a good idea and probably well worth the money. It would suck to get done with getting it ready for show and then they just take it away from me. I have to get it ready for either show or race but they would rather have do both but I don't know how I could do that with only $12k, would anyone have any ideas on what I could do? I'm thinking now about just going with a 97-98 conversion with some nice wheels and spend the rest on the motor and transmission and drivetrain but any ideas would be great.
Thanks

#15 ·
spend 5K on a built motor, 1K on exhaust, 1500 on turbo, 1200 on fromt mount, 2K on supporting mods. that leaves you with 2K for suspension and dressing it up, not much really.. this is assuming you do all the labor

#16 ·
do all that and push 550-700 WHP show it off to them then ask for dress up cash..

#19 ·
bottom line man....

dont put on the WIDEBODY because:
-afterwards you wont want to drive the car because itll be fragile as hell
-too much money for the damn kit and labor and paint
-widebody kit usu. = 19'' rims (dont perform very well on eclipses and usu. = $2k + up)
-youd be destoying an already beautiful car

do this:
-1g 6 bolt motor with 16G or 20G w/ supporting mods
-set of volks or advans
-engine management
-fresh paint (no yellow, fnf piss gree, orange, etc)
-fresh interior leather :cool:

this is just what every true DSM fan would want
its your car if you turn it into something that makes our cars look bad dont bother posting pics please

good luck
-EE

#20 ·
Yeah I don't think I'm gonna go with the widebody kit because I still want to be ablt to drive the car around. I was thinking about getting a race engine from slowboy racing but I could also do it myself but I don't really have the right equipment to be doing it. And then I was either thinking about getting a tranny from shepracing or TRE. Would the axles and driveshaft be able to handle up to around 600hp or so. Who could I get upgrades from? Any help would be great.
Thanks for all your help. I want to have a car that DSM guys will appreciate, and a stock body Talon or Eclipse really do look good when they are fixed up nice. For the color I was thinking about white with gunmetal wheels and carbon fiber hood or something like that, but thats is not definate it changes everyday.

#21 ·
sounds good, but id like to flip the colors, white wheels on a gunmetal car would be nice.. then you hood wouldnt stand out and look silly.

#22 ·
hey here is an idea

since you have the talon, you could get either the stock eclipse 97-99 bumpers and leave the talon sideskirts, or get the 97-98 talon bumper, that or get a different front bumper, ie aftermarket, like greenstreak.

But for color wise I think the white car with black roof, or white roof like nice, and then either gunmetal rims, or polished black(or gunmetal) rims.

#24 ·
white paint = been there done that. :eek: (don't misunderstand, white looks great and is very tasteful, but not very original)
Get creative; no color changing paint or dumb vinyl graphics either. You want something that stands out and attracts attention without being gaudy or tacky.

Unless you are using the car as a billboard for the sponsor. Then you want basic paint colors that have good contrast with the sponsors graphics.

my 2 pennies

Bill

#25 ·
i can remember the name of the "company" but they offer ANYONE and EVERYONE these "sponerships" they say they can get you discounted parts etc by you paying a small fee of like 50 bucks and then you are in or somehting. i know MANY people that have done it, some actually got parts, other tried for months upon months and never could even get ahold of them? or they said "we working on it" or something to that effect...

there are MANY MANY MANY scams out there for newbies, and you driviing a stock car with someone offering 12k, is just a little crazy. sorry but its either a once in a liftime thing like winning the lotto, or a scam, please look into it WAY more before doing anything for your sake.

on another note, i like widebodies - so yea i like bodykts - SOME- only a select few - i have yet to see a widebody kit that i actually like... if you can get a custom kit do that. :cool: -- before everyone else flames for him spenind cash on a kit and not to go fast - remeber that IF this sponsership is ligit - im sure with them giving him 12k, they have the ultimate say in what goes into that car. so if you are going for a widebody - DO IT RIGHT

#26 ·
Since I don't know the details of the contract I would contact one of the established DSM tuner shops and tell them the deal you have and see if you can get parts at lower cost in return for some type of advertising. Better yet contact one of the shops that is just starting to get recognize since they could use any type of advertising. I can amagine this could be the type of car that makes it into a magizine so the shop would get great advertisment and if they offer you parts for a cheaper price you could get even more stuff that you already are for the 12K. Also just the fact that you are going to spend that much probably just about any shop will offer you a discount on a package deal.

An even better but maybe unrealistic idea call the Discovery channel and tell them you are doing this and they can do an hour show on how you converted a stock DSM into a 10 sec show car. I mean they made that stupid show with the civic vs. the 1G DSM this one most of us would watch. The lesson here is think about the possibilites that you have with the flexibility your particualr scenario of having the 12K and the purpose behind it and I bet there would be many places wanting a part of it due to the story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.