DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1g to 2g shell swap

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BISHILVR 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 1GB awd eagle talon, has a 6 bolt 4g63 and a 2g 95-96 trans with a matching transfer case and a 4bolt lsd in the rear. The car has seen better days, the body is starting to rust, I found 2 holes in the floor, there is rust showing underneath and quite frankly, I'm tired of having a 1g dsm. I'd like to buy a 2g awd shell to swap the engine/trans and everything I can.

My question is, what is swap-able from the 1g to the 2g. I know my trans will work as it's from a 95-96, engine will work as well.

What about the diff? I know the axles & drive shaft aren't the same, but will the diff ( center section) bolt up to the 2g shell?

Is the rad the same? (I have a mishimoto rad, 1.5-2 inch thick)

Anything else I should need for the shell swap? special harness for 7 to 6 bolt swap?

I know i'll need a computer, harness, etc.

#2 ·
I have two cars I'm making into one like this. 92 6 bolt talon and a 98 talon. I am finding out not much from the actually chassis will work from one to the other. Rad looks the same but the upper mounts are for sure different. I just read the diff won't directly mount up but an evo8 rear end will into a 2g. I just tore down my 1g and bringing in my 2g to compare things to see. Upper strut mounts and suspension are way different on the 2g, exhaust dumps out the opposite side as well as fuel fill. Exhaust does appear to have all the same mounts for hangers, some cutting and welding required to make work from one to the other, from the diff back.
Just looking at the two driveshafts they look very similar and may work from one to the other, this i will find out soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.