DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

I bought a 1g head, how can I tell if it's a 6 bolt or not?

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Dream On 
#1 ·
Exactly what the title says. I bought a 1g head a while back, and that was back when I never thought to ask if it was a 6 or 7 bolt. It supposedly came off of a 1993 tsi awd manual trans. I havent been able to find anywhere how to tell the difference...

#2 ·
maximuspaynimus said:
Exactly what the title says. I bought a 1g head a while back, and that was back when I never thought to ask if it was a 6 or 7 bolt. It supposedly came off of a 1993 tsi awd manual trans. I havent been able to find anywhere how to tell the difference...

If it came off of 93 then it *most likely* is a head off of a 7 bolt block.
Why do you care anyways?

#6 ·
The only thing that you have to worry about is what the guys said above. If it is a AT head, then you dont want it if you have a MT car. So other then that, dont worry about it being 6 or 7 bolt.

#10 ·
To put a 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt block, the correct way is to drill it. Some people say it is ok to just push the studs through the head but honestly I dont want little metal shavings floating in my oil from the stud having to push through the metal. Its not about what you can get away with, its about doing it the right way the first time.

To put a 6 bolt head on a 7 bolt block is different. The block has dowl pins that hold the head in place, so using the smaller head studs doesnt hurt anything.

#13 ·
All 1g's (except 1.8's) use the same head, it doesn't matter whether its a non-turbo, turbo, 6 bolt or 7 bolt, all have identical heads. The cams are the only difference.

2g's use the redesigned head with smaller head studs.

Do a search if you don't believe me. Even look at various vendors pages, ever notice how when they sell heads they will only ask if its a 1g or a 2g.

#14 ·
Wow. I thought this shit was common knowlege.

As far as cylinder head port sizes and how the head flows, 90-94 4G63 NA, and 90-94 turbo are IDENTICAL. The difference between 6 bolt and 1g 7bolt heads are the headstud sizes, 12mm on the 6 bolt and 11mm on the 7bolt. The 7 bolt head can be drilled over 1mm in those holes to accomodate the 6 bolt studs/bolts.

NA 4G63 heads have different valvetrain parts including cams and valvesprings. So if you use one of those, make sure when it is assembled it is assembled with turbo valvetrain. As far as the different cam profiles between the auto and the manual tranny, I doubt that it's noticable with regular bolt ons, but who gives a fuck anyhow, just swap out the cams.

#17 ·
turbo_spyder said:
i thought 1g head had a bigger intake port and smalller exhaust port than a 2g and a 2g head had a bigger exhaust port with a smaller intake port then the 1g???
Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure the exahust port on the 1g and 2g are identical. Or at least pretty damn close, I've never broken out the micrometer to measure the port openings. The 1g intake port is way bigger although. But we know the 1g and 2g head flow different, that wasn't the question. The confusion was the difference between the 1g 6bolt and 1g 7 bolt head, not the 2g 7 bolt.

#18 ·
JaxTalonTurbo said:
Wow. I thought this shit was common knowlege.

As far as cylinder head port sizes and how the head flows, 90-94 4G63 NA, and 90-94 turbo are IDENTICAL. The difference between 6 bolt and 1g 7bolt heads are the headstud sizes, 12mm on the 6 bolt and 11mm on the 7bolt. The 7 bolt head can be drilled over 1mm in those holes to accomodate the 6 bolt studs/bolts.

NA 4G63 heads have different valvetrain parts including cams and valvesprings. So if you use one of those, make sure when it is assembled it is assembled with turbo valvetrain. As far as the different cam profiles between the auto and the manual tranny, I doubt that it's noticable with regular bolt ons, but who gives a fuck anyhow, just swap out the cams.

Guess my FSM is wrong. :confused:

#22 ·
JaxTalonTurbo said:
Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure the exahust port on the 1g and 2g are identical. Or at least pretty damn close, I've never broken out the micrometer to measure the port openings. The 1g intake port is way bigger although. But we know the 1g and 2g head flow different, that wasn't the question. The confusion was the difference between the 1g 6bolt and 1g 7 bolt head, not the 2g 7 bolt.
oh...ooops my bad, i guess i did know my dsm head flow stuff....i guess he was talking something different then what i was thinking...:wall:

#24 ·
gay_for_miatas said:
It says the m/t non-turbo car s have the same cams as the m/t turbo,
and the a/t n/a share cams with the a/t turbo.
With exceptions for the 1.8.
Hmmm, it says the manual NT cars have same cams as turbo manual cars? Thats crazy, that differs than the service manuals used at our local shop, we went over this a couple of times, and I've had tons of heads taken over there. Thats crazy, I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to measure the lift or duration somhow and compare the two. I've always just swapped in the turbo cams when rebuilding an NA head anyways just for good measure.

#25 ·
JaxTalonTurbo said:
Hmmm, it says the manual NT cars have same cams as turbo manual cars? Thats crazy, that differs than the service manuals used at our local shop, we went over this a couple of times, and I've had tons of heads taken over there. Thats crazy, I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to measure the lift or duration somhow and compare the two. I've always just swapped in the turbo cams when rebuilding an NA head anyways just for good measure.

Well, I'm gonna check with a local shop here that works on these and see what they have to say. I swear I'll burn this book. Theres bluntly some things wrong it sometimes.

#26 · (Edited)
seefour said:
Thank you for helping stop the spread of bad information. I can't believe someone can have over 300 posts and not know common things such as this.

Haha thats pretty funny, post count doesn't indicate knowledge. I was wrong on the headstuds. But lets clear this up. The 1g 6bolt and 7bolt do have the same head. The 7bolt does have 11mm headstuds and the 6bolt does have 12mm headstuds, but the heads themselves are identical.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50429466&postcount=6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.