DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

4G64 swap

255K views 470 replies 125 participants last post by  rself 
#1 ·
Has anybody done it? Seen it? Heard of it?

I'm about to do it.

#327 ·
Bigfoot said:
I'll throw this out there just for fun and so yall can tear your hair out. The 2.4 4G69 motor in the 2004 Lancer Ralliart is a modified 4G64, but uses a MIVEC head. The good news, the MIVEC head would bolt right up. The bad news, the motor is on the passenger side, so it needs an Evo tranny. Those bastards.
How many bolts is this motor??? I wonder how long it will be before me see 2.4 evos running around??

#329 ·
Crankwalker said:
Timing belt and camshaft timing gears from the 1994 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L DOHC engine should be used. The timing belt part number is MD182292 and the cam gear part numbers are MD189399 / MD300439.
Two MD189399 gears are more desirable for a 1g. The gear is marked on both sides. The MD300439 has a bunch of extra 2g style cam sensor stuff on it.

Doesn't really matter, but probably wieghs less and is cleaner looking.

#331 ·
talonted_one said:
Weisco sells a hybrid poiston that in actuallity is a 4g63 pistion with .060 over bore. Other than that no
That won't work will it? Its not just the bore size but also the height of the pistons.

Also, to revive this thread again, has anyone done any hybrid build ups as of late? I want some hints and tips for when I do mine. I'm in the process of hunting down a nice donor car (considering a 2g). Also, has anyone put a g4cs (6bolt) 2.4 hybrid in a 2g yet? I'm assuming its going to be the same as a 6bolt in a 2g but wanted to see if there's any other difficulties that are new. I did find a decent 95 TSi AWD but I want a 95+ GSX (I like the looks and I ain't gonna convert a TSi)

#332 ·
Yes tokyo_tad, talonted_one is right the weisco 60 over will work for the 7-bolt 4G64 application. In fact the part number for a Wiseco 60 over 4G63 and a standard 4G64 are the same - K548M865. This will give you a compression of a about 9.3:2 on the 64.

Here is the link to my site I should be updating very soon. - http://www.extremeevolutions.com/4G64_buildup.htm

#333 ·
whoa, 9.3:1 compression? Isn't that high? I was worried about going to the 8.8:1 in mine. Have you gotten yours up and running yet? I saw your pics of your engine. That thing looks clean!! Good luck on this.

I just wonder why more people aren't trying this and instead just building up the 2.0. Seems like the 2.4 should be just as good yet more powerful.

#334 ·
tokyo_tad said:
That won't work will it? Its not just the bore size but also the height of the pistons.

If you can't do that then someone better call weisco and tell them they are doing this all wrong. The height of the piston is only in the overall design of the piston i.e. Dish and Dome.

Also, to revive this thread again, has anyone done any hybrid build ups as of late? I want some hints and tips for when I do mine. I'm in the process of hunting down a nice donor car (considering a 2g). Also, has anyone put a g4cs (6bolt) 2.4 hybrid in a 2g yet? I'm assuming its going to be the same as a 6bolt in a 2g but wanted to see if there's any other difficulties that are new. I did find a decent 95 TSi AWD but I want a 95+ GSX (I like the looks and I ain't gonna convert a TSi)

Putting a 6 bolt 2.4 in a 2g shouldn't be any harder than doing the normal 6bolt swap.

#338 ·
v8klla said:
Anyone had any problems running the 4g64 timing belt? Does anyone know if that is what marco is running? I don't want to build this thing and then snap the T-belt and ruin all that I worked for!

Thanks!

Chris Carey
I have a similar question. I know that someone makes a kevlar timing belt for a 4G63 but does anyone know if they make one for a 4G64? And if so who sells em?

Thanks, Sean.

#340 ·
What compression is everyone reading when doing the test..... i got like 230 ----->

that was cold though.... how much diffrence would hot be?

Offically my car is up and running, still need tuning bad, gonna try and install DSMlink V2 this weekend.

"toquey lil rascal isnt she"---- yes it is!

i start spooling my 60-1 t3/t4 at about 2500-2600 rpms, so far it likes 110 octane too!

#345 ·
Just an FYI, the 4G64 has taken safe boost levels up to 15 psi so far, in the 3rd gen eclipse.

Also, there is a company in Austrailia called RPW that makes both a camshaft and valve springs for the 4G64. they claim that both of those will raise the redline of the 4G64 from a measly 6K to 8500 RPM.

I would say that that is a very high rpm for an engine with the stroke that the 4G64 has.

#346 ·
Well you can all count me as another victim to a 6 bolt 2.4L motor that has crankwalked. I had to get a new (remanufactured) crank after the first one cracked somehow, and now 177 miles later it's walking. There's a good 1/4" movement in there and some nice big chunks in the oil pan. Back to the 2.0 I go.

#348 ·
amberhuggatt said:
Sorry but any motor that fails in 177 miles is a build problem not a 6 bolt problem.

Good luck with the 2.0L, i would godown tothe machine shop with a pic of your odometer and and sart throwing your bearing at them.
yeah im gonna have to agree with you.... 177 mile :rolleyes: something isnt right......

what clutch's bearings oil are the "crankwalked" 2.4L's using? No problem with mine so far....

#349 ·
I haven't seen this mention before, I happened to check a 2.4 dip stick with a 2.0 and the 2.4 is longer. I didn't think about it ahead of time but its kinda important. :eek: I had quite a bit more oil in mine, ticked me off a little cause I thought it was strange that it took more oil than normal. hehe

So if you get a block with a 2.4 dip stick tube still in it make sure you use a 2.4 dip stick. I would imagine if you use a 2.0 tube and 2.0 dip stick you would get the proper oil level also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.