DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

White Smoke

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  GstBeast 
#1 ·
so the other day i thought i was bone dry no more oil... so i put 1 quart of oil but it overfilled it... i ran it for a while... then i got my oil change and now im blowing white/blueish smoke from the exhaust after i let go of the gas pedal...
its only blows when i floor the gas then let go of the pedal... what can be the problem?

#4 ·
Yea check the seals on the turbo. If its not that, then do a compression test and whichever cylinder has the lowest reading, do a leakdown test on that cylinder, because it could be rings, hg, or valve guide seals which would cause buildup on the valve causing it not to seat fully.

#7 ·
project 94- No it could be a couple other things, the only for sure thing is that you are burning oil or coolant. you could have a minor crack in the head, uncommon, check and see if your spark plug tubes have oil in them. my buddies galant with 4g63 swap just had this problem not too long ago. If you have never replaced the head gasket and you have over 85000 miles on a motor that old i think a head gasket would be most likely.

gst beast- if you are referring to oil that was outside the motor that is burning then there would be no way for that smoke to get into the exhaust so unless the smoke is coming from under the hood then the answer would be no...

#9 ·
when i rev it there is smoke coming out of the engine where the oil is at.. i was told if i clean all the oil spots with degreaser that could fix the problem if not then its a head gasket that being cracked....

i also was told to use the repair gasket seal to fix the head gasket but then i was told that it would not help its only temporary and if i use that i have a higher of blowing the head gasket with the motor also

#15 ·
If the valve cover gasket is leaking it could be running onto the exhaust manifold and burning from there. As for it coming out of the exhaust, it could be rings, turbo seals, head gasket, head, valve seals. Do a compression test and check the turbo for excessive play. Go from there.

#17 · (Edited)
Is your oil level correct now? Since you over filled it earlier, maybe
it caused to much oil to get into the valve area and when you rev it
and let off, it's sucking oil past the valve seals. Just a thought.
My 1.8 would smoke like a diesel when I hit a curve to fast, but would
quit as soon as I exited the curve. Think it had bad valve guides/seals.

Also, you can get a compression gauge at about any parts store.
Check manual for how to --

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.