Am I missing something? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact UsStore

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > New User Reading Area > We've Seen These Before

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I missing something?

so a lil while ago i finished up the install of a 6bolt swap into my 95 gsx. since then i have been having an issue getting to start up. I followed the magnus guide for the install, I bought the 6 bolt swap harness and have searched these forums up and down for "simply" solutions, but none of them have worked. I dont hear the fuel pump ever kick on, but when i pulled the line from the rail i had fuel up there. i didnt get the chance to crank it and see if it was actually flowing or if it was jus residual fuel from b4 the swap. I checked all the fuses that i knew of, i.e the driverside fuse box and underhood fuse box; and all are ok. I havent been able to check spark yet, considering that I havnt had a second set of hands to help me out. as far as i can tell my ecu is getting power considering that the check engine light comes on and my scan tool powers up when conecting to the dlc. Also I can see the engine p.i.ds using evoscan but cant control any of the actuators, if that matters. any help would be great because its driving me nutz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Re: Am I missing something?

What ecu are you using? What cam angle sensor are you using? Spark can be checked by laying a spark plug somewhere you can see it while your sitting in the car cranking it, its especially easy if you have spark plug wires, if you do just lay a spark plug with the wire connected up near your front windshield and watch it from inside the car. It is possible and fairly common to accidently switch the three prong coil plug with the a/c or some other plug! check that.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery

I'm currently using my original ecu, which I believe is an 95 EPROM ecu and also a 98 EPROM and the condition did not change. Also using a green top cas. I thought I may have switched them, but the coil and one of the cas plugs seem to have a color coding to make it easier to figure out. I've tried both variations of the plugs and I believe I even went as far as trying the third triangular plug which I believe is for the a/c

Old 11-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

There was no 98' eprom. The 98' ecu would be a black plastic case "flashable" ecu. If your using a 1g green top cas with a 95' ecu then you have plug wires that have to be switched for it to run, you swap 1&4 with 2&3 and you have to make sure thay you have the blade on the cas aligned properly, did you do that? First things first though, make sure it has spark.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery

May be a different year EPROM ecu, I'll have to double check. I have performed the wire swap but I'll check for spark when I get off work. I was looking over a few of my logs from trying to start it and noticed I had sum inconsistent ect readings, wondering if that could be it as well?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

Yes, a bad ect will definately stop it from starting.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery

So I replaced the ect sensor and removed the plugs. Found that I was definitely getting fuel bc the plugs were covered in fuel. so I cleaned them off and checked for spark found I had none til I swapped one of the connectors on the cas harness. After all of that it still won't start but sounds a little better also ever so after made a very small almost inaudible pop lik it wanted to start but sounds a little weak even with a jumper on it.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

So you have spark now?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery

Yea. I also decided to clean up some of the ground locations in the engine bay. That seemed to help but then the battery died so left it charging and gonna retry starting it later
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

Do you have the cas aligned properly? there is a certain way that it has to go into the cam, you might be 180* out on the cas alignment.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
blk_rob
New DSMtalker

96 mitsu, eclipse gsx
blk_rob's Gallery

I thought of that, so I removed it set the car to tdc and set the cas to the alignment marks then reinstalled it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement