DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

What is correct torque sequence for cylinderhead

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  HOT97ECLIPSEGSX 
#1 ·
Okk well I just put my ARPS in my block last night with the moly lube, a little silicon on the edge of the block, then put the cylinder head onto the block and just tightened it, however im supposed to torque it down to 120ft.lb with the arp nuts/washers i believe, my question is:

1- Am i supposed to use the moly lube on the top end of the head stuf where the washer/nut go ?

2- what is the correct torque sequence looking at the head from the CAS side (Left to right)

#2 ·
First off you don't want to torque the studs to 120 ft/lbs. With the use of moly lube you only have to torque them to 80ft/lbs. Yes you should put the moly lube on the part of the stud that sticks out of the head. As for the torque sequence it depends what year your car is. On a final note if you dont have a manual for your car, get one. The manual is your best friend.

#7 ·
Arp says to torque them to 80ft/lbs with the use of moly lube and 120ft/lbs if using motor oil. They also go on to say that the torque values of the studs are based on 75% of the fasteners yield strength. So if you over torque them than you are getting closer to maxing out your fastener. Which defeats the purpose of buying Arp's and not stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.