DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Timing belt

8K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Spyder4G64T 
#1 ·
Ok im going to be replacing my timing belt, and i was wondering if i could leave off the balance shaft belt because eventually im going to be removing it. As of right now im a little strapped for cash an i feel like i would be throwing my money away by replacing that belt. would i be hurting the engine if i leave the belt off without removing the balance shaft? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Corey

#2 · (Edited)
No, you can't just leave the belt off. You either need to replace the belt or remove the balance shafts. You think your strapped now wait till the bs belt breaks and takes out the timing belt. Can you get away with just replacing the timing belt and balance shaft belt and not the water pump and tensioner? I wouldn't advise it normally but if you need to save some coin it can be done this way. How many miles are on the timing and balance shaft belt?

#3 ·
I dont know how many miles the belts have on them, but i checked the timing belt the the other day and its starting to crack.. and the water pump is starting to leak i plained on changing the water pump, timing belt, and tensioner but just cant justify spending an extra 20$ on the bs belt that im going to end up taking so shortly anyway..

#4 ·
For cheaply and simple, buy the "ROCK" kit that included the timing belt, water pump, balance belt and all the tensioners needed for a bit over 100 dollars. Well worth it. Worked great for me.

#5 ·
Unless the balance shaft belt is cracked... why replace it, if you're having money issues. It's under very little stress, so it'll likely last until you pull the balance shafts.

#9 ·
Slight edit. You can use those part numbers at a DSM shop and save cash over the dealer. You can also shop at any one of the big DSM shops and they will know what you need and you don't need the part numbers at all.

Stay away from the cheap ebay BS elim kits. They don't include all the parts a DSM shop would give you usually and they use a non grooved stubby shaft.

#8 ·
Also, seach Ebay for timing belt kits. I normally wouldn't recommend an Ebay kit, but if you're trying to do this really cheaply, it's about the only option.

The "rock" kit is probably from RockAuto.com (not sure), but it's probably for the 4G63. Everyone that comments here seems to forget we all have 4G64's. It gets annoying very quickly.

#14 ·
I priced the parts at advanced auto, and the rest of the parts stores in town.Advanced had a complete kit minus the water pump for 120$ and for another $44 for a water pump so i just bit the bullet and bought everything i needed. I love my car to much to take a chance at something failing and costing me more money!!!! thanks for your info guys!

#15 ·
For something that important and something that only needs changed every 60,000 miles, trying to go cheap or cut corners is just retarded.

If you can't afford to do the proper maintenance on a vehicle you should not have bought it!

#17 ·
First off, Rule #7 - last warning.

2nd off, you just admitted you can't afford to do the proper maintenance. IT's that simple, if you can't afford ALL the required QUALITY parts, you can't afford to do the maintenance. Time for a civic maybe?

People wonder why there are so many damn timing belt failures out there.

#18 ·
Again the only reason i was having a hard time spending that much money is due to working 20hrs.. when your use to working 50 to 60 hrs, and money get tight quick.No civics are like assholes everyones got one. people need to grow up and realize that there are some people that struggle when they dont work there normal hours.

#19 · (Edited)
You're not getting me at all. Buy the parts or park the car. If you skip out on a timing belt job because you can't afford $300 worth of parts, what are you going to do when something happens and you need $1000 worth of rebuild head/pistons and other parts?

Do you not get how important this is?

Also warned you once about Rule #7.

#20 ·
There's a smart move - park your car so you can't go to work and make money for your family, when things are already tight.

Geez, lay off the guy.

#21 ·
I didn't say quit his job I said park the car. Find another mode of transportation until you can afford to do the proper work to it.

It's no wonder so many of these cars are sitting in junkyards.

#22 ·
OK so I finally received all my parts today. I got everything torn down and the timing belt and balance shaft belt put on. when I rotate the engine like it tells me to and recheck the timing the timing goes from 0* to about 5* BTDC is that and acceptable? I have never had a timing belt be suck a PITA as this one has. any help would be much appreciated thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.