DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

My project - accomplished. Opinions?

11K views 91 replies 27 participants last post by  MissSpyderGST 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Mitsuubishi Eclipse GS-T Spyder. My dad, boyfriend and I took out my backseats (afterall - they suck...) and took my dad's system out; which contained: 4 10" subs (DB+ by Kenwood) and stuck it in the place of the back seats. We also got some plywood and cut out 4 extra spots. In the 4 spots I have 2 Sony Xplod's 5 and a quarter in diameter (small, but by far the best speakers. I recommend them!) and 2 cheap ass speakers I plan on replacing... At a measurement of 6 X 9. Still have the two Infinity stocks in the back panels, and two shitty speakers in the front that I plan on replacing. Then, mounted on each side of the sub box I have 2 Kenwood 5 channel amps, 1200 watts each. As for the radio, I have a brand new Sony XPlod, which is very good, and only 100 bucks at wal mart! Great way to save money and have a great radio that has an aux plug in. So, with all that said, what speakers should i use to replace the crappy speakers I have? I was thinking either more Sony Xplods or Pioneers. I will post the pics of them up as soon as possible. I know Sony isn't the best of all brands, but I'm going to college and I'm on a budget.

#75 ·
1 Alpine Type R 12in Is all you need in a Hatch.

Saves weight and one of the hardest hitting subs out there. I have my setup sitting and waiting to be installed. Hoping to be driving it in the next few weeks. Then i can get busy on the boom....

These are waiting, Removed from my convertible capri. Only used about 1 month and i loved it!

#78 ·
To put it simple, JL Audio W7.
My mom had 2 10's in her 2001 Eclipse Spyer. Burned them out like crazy. Even though she had a 1600 watt Kenwood amp. Replaced those two tens with an 8" W7, and it hits so mush harder.

Take my set up for example. If I had two 8" W7, it wuld be as hard as it is now with the four 10"s.

#77 ·
Well that depends on what 10s you get and what amp pushes it. 4 8in subs can smoke a 15 if the setup is correct.

My setup there was $500 out the door. Box, amp and sub. in comparison i bought the MTX thunder package that comes with the subs amp and box. It was the 2 12s and my setup crushed his. That punch amp puts out 600watts RMS

#79 ·
Much like racing should be taken to the track, cars with loud booming systems should play their music at a respectable level so I don't feel the urge to pull you out of your car and strangle you with a shoe lace, tie your hands to your steering wheel and roll the car into a stagnant lake, in other words, keep the boom at the events.

#83 ·
Yeah, I used to think more was always better, but now I think I'd rather just get one nice high end woofer and one amp to push it, as opposed to getting two or three cheaper woofers.

I don't really have a high end SPL style woofer in my Eclipse, it is a MB Quart Discus which is really more for SQ and I have it playing off one channel of my 5-ch US Amps amp, but it hits hard enough for me. I adopted my way of thinking for my Evo in that it has a Punch Stage 3 12 DVC and a JL 250 watt blade amp pushing it.

#86 ·
Im actually considering putting 2 8w7's in my hatch. My 2 12's take up too much space. I was going to go with 10's but still the boxes seem too tall to put my trunk cover back on. I found boxes made for the 8w7 that are short enough for me to cover them. And I listen to mostly rock and metal so smaller faster subs will be nice. Sometimes I listen to rap and hip hop and from what ive heard they do quite well with that too. Probably better than my 12" kenwood db+'s.

As for being loud and annoying Ill play it loud while im moving but when i pull into a neighborhood, a stop, or a parking lot I turn it way down. Also in tight traffic ill keep it down.

#88 ·
Yeah, that's really nice... I need to do that (about when to have it up or not). BUT the w7's will be much better than your Kenwoods. I wish i could have the w7's, but my speakers were free (dad gavethem to me), so I deal with what I have haha.

#87 ·
Yeah, I tried Sony a long time ago and wasn't happy but here lately its been Pioneer that's really let me down. I think my next HU will be Alpine or Kenwood.

#89 ·
Yeah, Allpine is really good. Better than Kenwood, in my opinion. The new Sony XPLOD's are better than the older Sony's... So you could always try it out and just return it if you don't like it... But say something is wrong with it or it didn't fit or something haha.

#91 ·
Ok, I didnt read the entire post but I had a couple of suggestions / input. For one an Optima batteries arent really a "bigger" battery, it is deep cycle AGM battery with almost the same CCA as the one you currently have. An optima has some advantages like it can be totally discharged and be re-charged back full again. Where a standard battery could not. Optima batteries often give very little gain in power to a car that is having electrical draws as large as this. What I would reccomend is a Kinetik power cell or something similar, they can still be discharged and recharged, but they carry more amperage. Their website has many to choose from, kinetikaudio.com. There are other companies as well like Braille, BatCap, etc. The most common one I see at competitons in vehicles that have high power demands is the kinetiks. Not trying to say an optima wouldnt be option, it just may not reach your power needs, even with a new alternator.

Like I said I didnt read the entire post but did see you were having some whine issues, it may be caused by the strain of the electrical system, or it could be what a couple of others stated which was to have the power wires and rca's run on opposite sides of the car, both can cause interferance.

It looks like a good install though and glad that you enjoy listening to it. Its your car and your the one that has to drive it and listen to it everyday =p.

Btw, I really like your seats, what kind are they and where did you get them?

#92 ·
Thanks for the tip! I just know that it's about time for a new battery, too haha. Thanks for the compliment on the system, it is nice and sounds wonderful. :D My seats I'm assuming are the stock seats. I just bought the car like, not even a year ago... I just wish my passenger seat didn't have that big crack in the leather. >_<

But I will look into these other batteries! Thank you so much. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.