DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

4G64 swap

255K views 470 replies 125 participants last post by  rself 
#1 ·
Has anybody done it? Seen it? Heard of it?

I'm about to do it.

#302 ·
Boost. The more you up the static compression, the less boost you can run. Personally I'm interested in more low end grunt, and quicker spoolup. The extra 20% displacement will eclipse what an extra 0.5 point of compression will do. And some of us are 1G'ers, so going from 7.8:1 to 8.5:1 is quite a jump as it is.

Ken Young

#303 ·
FYI:
4G64 junkyard motor - 64SA piston code on top of pistons = 9.5:1 CR

Results: 300whp @ 6200rpm on an AWD dynojet; ~275 ft-lb from 3500-6000rpm

Conditions: ~800' elevation, ~85 deg F, 29.90 in-Hg

Setup: 91 octane, 13psi boost, 15 deg timing at 7k

Components: Big everything ;) :cool: :p

#304 ·
Re: a dreaded day

BICTURBO said:
my crank is walking :( :( :(

so much for the 7 bolt 2.4s not crankwalking looks like 6 more months of downtime for me
Let me ask you... What block did you use? What was it from? Did it have the oil squirters in it?

My '97 Spyder 4g64 doesn't have oil squirters in it yet the '94 DOHC Galant 4g64 block I bought does. Just wondering if by chance Magnus' oil-squirter theory still held up...

#305 ·
firepower said:
FYI:
4G64 junkyard motor - 64SA piston code on top of pistons = 9.5:1 CR

Results: 300whp @ 6200rpm on an AWD dynojet; ~275 ft-lb from 3500-6000rpm

Conditions: ~800' elevation, ~85 deg F, 29.90 in-Hg

Setup: 91 octane, 13psi boost, 15 deg timing at 7k

Components: Big everything ;) :cool: :p

What kind of set up are you running? Six bolt or seven bolt? 2g head? Was that with the 16g?

#306 ·
does anyone know the g64b that works for the 6 bolt 2.4 swap? Here are the ones that I found:

2.4L F.I. 12-valve SOHC 4 short block
(121/2" bellhousing)
2.4L F.I. 12-valve SOHC 4 short block
(131/4" bellhousing)

Van, Pickup, Expo 1989-92 2350cc G64B engine
2.4L F.I. 8-valve SOHC 4 short block
(Van)
(Pickup)
Pickup 1993-96 2350cc 4G64 engine
Expo, Galant, Eclipse 1993-00
2350cc 4G64 engine
2.4L F.I. 16-valve SOHC 4 short block (exc. 99-00 Galant)

I have done 2 stroker 4g63s so far and both have blown--dont try that at home---think it was a bad rod angle when the piston compression height is changed that much...

Anyway on to the 64b conversion...and for those of you who are needing the bulletproof swap and don't want to go to an older 6 bolt setup, check out speed design in godfrey, IL--they do a 7 bolt thrust bearing fix (no more crankwalk). These are the same guys that came up with the 4 spider center diff with a custom cross shaft and treated spider gears. I run one in my car and bulletproof like a welded one but the drivability is still there!

Thanks-

Nick
95 GSX--missing an engine again :(
03 350 z
01 Trooper
85 Landcruiser

#308 ·
Can the 7-Bolt version of the '64 be used in a 1G if the 2G flywheel is used? Also, will the timing belt motor mount from the 64' match up with the mount in the 1G? Is 87.5 mm bore size considered .20 over? And finally, can the rod caps from the '64 be used with big rods or should I keep the rod caps the same (big rods w/ big rod caps)?

That is all for now :p

#309 ·
lancerman said:
Here is a quick way to get your adjustable gears ready for 4g64 use.

Start with some stock 4g63 cam gears. Install the gears and line the marks up. Make sure you have a belt installed and there is no slack in the belt. You can use an old section of a belt for this. Just tie rap it to the gears. Once you get the cams dialed in the right spot, lock the cams in place with vise grips.
Remove stock gears and replace with adjustables. Lock crank at tdc and install 2.4 belt. the gears should have the adjusters loose at this point. When you get the belt adjusted for correct tension, then tighten the cams up. Make new marks on your adjustable gears and you are ready to go.
Please be patient with me...how would one go about locking the cams in place with vice grips? Against what?

I'm almost complete with the build-up/swap. I just need to set up the timing belt correctly. (Using AEM adjustable cam gears)

Thanks JohnGSX for the picture of the camgears.

#310 ·
For the guys using the 2g head....

what are you doing about the water tube from the water pump to the thermostat housing? I bought the water tube people say to buy, but it was to "long" and went past the thermostat housing. As of right now im more frustrated than a 3 legged dog trying to bury a turd on an icy lake. PLEASE HELP :mad:

#311 ·
Ok since no answer on that last post how about this....

is there a coolant return port somewhere on the block? I can't remember where the return line goes from the stock turbo. I just need to figure out how to get the coolant from the oil housing back into the system.

#312 ·
just starting

So I've been reading up on this thread and I am just starting out as well. I've got my g4cs block out of 89 Sonata so its a 6bolt (scored it for $100 for the shortblock). I'm trying to price out pistons and the cheapest/best solution seems the Wiseco's at $400 with rings off of here

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/wisecopistons_mitsubishi.html

the compression with these are 8.8:1 which is somewhat higher than I'd like but willing to live with it. I'm wondering if anyone has found any place that has them cheaper.

Also, should I buy a new front case/oil pump or just buy a used one. I'm not sure I've really heard of any oil pump failures so that's why I'm somewhat wondering if I need new.

I'm went with the 6bolt since this is for my 90 AWD Talon and think everything should fit. I'm not going to be drilling the extra water drains but I will plug those extra holes in the block. I'm gonna re-use the big rods on the g4cs, same crank, and block. I plan to throw on my 90 1G head on there. I'm not sure if I'm going to port the head or not. If I do decide to port, I guess, I'll throw my 2G head I have. oh and I'm thinking of going without the oil squirters cause if the skirts of the pistons do swim in the oil, I figure that's enough.

I'll post my progress as I go through this. Next step, need an engine stand and then off to the machine shop.

#315 ·
HybridAWD said:
For the guys using the 2g head....

what are you doing about the water tube from the water pump to the thermostat housing? I bought the water tube people say to buy, but it was to "long" and went past the thermostat housing. As of right now im more frustrated than a 3 legged dog trying to bury a turd on an icy lake. PLEASE HELP :mad:
thats odd... I never had a problem with that.. the fitment was identical as a 4g63 with a 2g head...

#321 ·
I'll throw this out there just for fun and so yall can tear your hair out. The 2.4 4G69 motor in the 2004 Lancer Ralliart is a modified 4G64, but uses a MIVEC head. The good news, the MIVEC head would bolt right up. The bad news, the motor is on the passenger side, so it needs an Evo tranny. Those bastards.

#323 ·
I rev mine to 7500. I don't want to rev too much higher just because I don't know how high others are going. There is talk of Magnus revving theirs to 8500 or so however. I sure would like to rev to 8K or higher, but I don't want to do any damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.