DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1g GSX project from Sweden.

58K views 183 replies 103 participants last post by  dsm_roller 
#1 · (Edited)
1g GSX project from Sweden

Hi, been around here a while but haven't posted anything yet so I thought it would be a good idea to start of with some pics of my project. I live in sweden and bought this car last year, it's not a common car in sweden, I estimate that maybee 10-15 gsx are registered in sweden. Alot of gs's around but gsx's are very rare.

The plan is to build a fast track car, haven't done anything to the engine yet but I have rods and pistons at home so that will be done until next summer. But apart from that, pretty much everything has been modified.

The car just after I picked it up.

The car was gutted almost strait away..

There was some rust that had to be fixed. Not that much really, only beneath the sideskirts and on the wheel arches.
The floor and everything else was in great condition.

Made some aluminum side mounts for my sparco evo seats.

Removed all sound proofing from the floor. Took some time but the swedish winter helped me out, it came off quite easy after the car had been outside in -75 degrees.

To be continued later today.. ;)

See less See more
#102 ·
2 more weight savings ideas

1. Remove the heat sheilds between the belly and exhaust. (keep the shield around the fuel tank). This is less than 5 lbs, but you're running out of things to choose from
2. Next time the dash is out, pull out the blower box, open it up, and remove the a/c chiller portion. ~ 5 lbs again

Keep up the good work. I remember way back when, reading that non turbo all wheel drives were offered in either Sweeden or Switzerland. Do you know about these, if so, did they have a different designation?

#105 ·
Sorry for the downtime here but I've been busy with other things than my car in the recent time. But the good news is that im only busy with working on the car now:) I will post an update here when I've got some interesting stuff to show, hopefully very soon ;)

#108 · (Edited)
Ok, here we go:)

I will begin to present my plans for the car. If we begin with the motor, the aim is somewhere around 400awhp with a fp3052 turbo and of course spool up should be very good with that turbo. I will run a stand alone ems, my first thoughts were aem but so many have had problems with aem so I am not sure what to run. I might take a wildcard and try a swedish ems called vems, there are some guys here that will try it in their evo's so I'll wait and see how it performs for them.

If we change focus to the body it will feature great modifications to improve the aerodynamics. If we begin with the cooling, the watercooler will be placed in the boot for a better weight distribution. The intercooler and oilcooler will have a own sealed air duct from the front that exits through the hood, that will be very efficient in a cooling perspective and should also produce some front downforce.

I guess some of you guys will accuse me of ricing out the car with wings and such now.. but everything is done purely with intention to go faster around a racing circuit.;)

A list of body mods I've planned.

-A completely flat venturi floor under the car, which includes a rear diffuser.
-Side air ducts providing air for the radiator, exit between the rear lights.
-Air tunnel for the intercooler and oil cooler from the front and exiting through the hood.
-The hood will also need additional air exits for heat extraction when the engine bay will be sealed underneath by the floor.
-Air splitter in the front.
-Lip on the trunk lid, like the on the m3csl.
-A Apr carbon wing.
-New sideskirts that seals the airflow under the car better.
-The rollcage will be extended to the front strut towers.
-New aluminum rear floor that will hold fuel cell, battery and fuel components.
-Removal of the ugly popup lights.
-New lighter crash bars.
-I will possibly build a whole new front frame to allow easier mounting of the coolers and the splitter.
-Some kind of air evacuation from the wheel wells.
-For the interior, besides a modified roll cage. I will make a new sheet metal aluminum dash with a digital race dash as the only instrument.

Enough talking. Now the fun part I guess, pictures:D

A concept picture I did on the computer just to see how it would look with the airducts and new side skirts.

I cut out the panel inside where the airduct will be.

And the air exit..

I made a prototype of the duct to see if was possible to make it look good using the body panel to do it. It came out great and if the cars thinner metal wont cause a problem I should be clear.

The radiator and intercooler. Aluminum pipes for waterlines on the floor behind.

Made funnels that will lead the air into the radiator connected to hoses from the side ducts.

Where the radiator will go.

Exhaust and driveshaft taken down.

And the subframe..

subframe washed.

As the car stands now.

The out cut rear floor.

I will rivet the new aluminum floor to the frame around the trunk.

Pieces for the floor.

I've cleared up the engine bay so I can install the rollcage and water pipes.

A drawing out how the rollcage will look.

All for now..

#112 ·
Nice work, definitely more interesting than your average build.

#120 ·
Thats cray stuff!!!
ive heard people of sealing the underside of the car but no one that Im aware of has done it yet. Just make sure the panels are secure, but also removeable for service (motor oil, tranny and transfer case fluid, rear diff fluid).

Keep up the great work and post more pictures!!!!

Thomas <--- Jelous!
90 TSi AWD

#123 · (Edited)
There should had been an update here by now, but the reason why there isn't one is that I cant do much on the car right now. I'm looking into building it racing legal, because it'll basically will be a race car anyways. And if so, I have too read up on the regulations and do everything by the book. So hold on:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.