DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Clutch wont hold pressure

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Josh1 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just picked up a 96 Talon TSi, FWD. 120k miles. Runs great but has a transmission component issue. While running, the car will not go into gear. Slave and Master cylinder have been "replaced". The master looks new, but the slave cylinder is a little rusty lookin, BUT the bleeder valve looks new. PO said he has bled the system multiple times and will work very briefly, but eventually goes back to the same thing. I have not seen the car move, so this is just hear say at this point. The fluid is topped off and looks clean. The only thing I have done is try to adjust the rod from the pedal to the cylinder. It is twisted all the way out and I am still able to push the slave cylinder in by hand, HOWEVER! the slave cylinder does not decompress, it stays pushed in and I lose the pedal pressure until I pump it one or two times by hand. Otherwise, I can pump the clutch pedal all day, by foot, and it continues to come back.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
So I pulled the MC off, bench bled and reinstalled it. I'm working solo right now so I used a vacuum pump bleeder for the SC/fluid lines. I noticed that the pump was holding pressure but when the valve on the slave cylinder was open, it would not pull fluid through the pump. But it was leaking from around the bleeder valve when it was loose. So its getting fluid but it wont exit through the bleeder valve for whatever reason. I'm wondering if they did rebuild the slave cylinder and just didn't do a good job.
But I'm confused as to why the pedal will hold pressure if I pump it, but if I move the clutch fork with my hand, the slave cylinder will not push back..

#3 ·
The slave can be bought for under or around $20 from what I can remember last time I picked one up a couple years ago, you might as well grab one and install it since by now that one has to be fairly worn out if its stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.