DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Complete DSMLink Walkthrough

45K views 83 replies 31 participants last post by  hawaiifiveoh 
#1 ·
Ok, I've done a bit of searching, and yes I know that I need a little under $1000 for a DSMLink setup for my 1997 GSX. I can't seem to find everything on a single thread, and thought it would be a decent idea if it was all put down in one area, for myself and future users. If someone could kindly put everything from exactly what is needed, and for what, an aproximate price range, setting up, and then finally, tuning. I would post what I have found, but I would rather have people who actually have done this themselves. Thanks a bunch guys. And this thread may need to be moved also, sorry if so.

#3 ·
hawaiifiveoh said:
Ok, I've done a bit of searching, and yes I know that I need a little under $1000 for a DSMLink setup for my 1997 GSX. I can't seem to find everything on a single thread, and thought it would be a decent idea if it was all put down in one area, for myself and future users. If someone could kindly put everything from exactly what is needed, and for what, an aproximate price range, setting up, and then finally, tuning. I would post what I have found, but I would rather have people who actually have done this themselves. Thanks a bunch guys. And this thread may need to be moved also, sorry if so.
All you HAVE to have is an EPROM ECU($150-$225ish)... it will need to be socketed($1 for the socket and prolly about $25-$40 to have someone remove the chip from the board and solder the socket in its place). Then, you will need the DSMLink... it comes with the chip, cable, and software(which is also available to be downloaded on their website). Check their site... I know they offer the socketing service, as well...

As far as tuning, I would suggest getting a wideband and doing a lot of reading if you arent familiar with tuning. DSMLink also has a .pdf users guide that will help you out getting started.

#8 ·
hawaiifiveoh said:
Just to be certain, 2g's MUST have a an ECU from a 95 turbo model, and 1g's can be from any year, correct?
I think they only reason they say 95 is because that is the only year that the 2gs had EPROM ECUs. It was pretty much random selection with the 1gs... I think they covered their eyes and pointed to the cars that would have EPROMs or when the car came up on the assembly line, they drew the type of ECU they would install in it out of a hat.

#9 ·
As far as the 2g's go you MUST have a 95' eprom ecu to socket in the new chip. You will also need a laptop that has the minimum requirements needed to run the software (requirements can be found on dsmlink website). I picked a cheap laptop up from ebay for about a $100, dsmlink $550, socket job $20-40, eprom ecu $150-200. As far as information goes you can download the tuning guide from dsmlink website, this will get your basic tuning down, but the real "good" information is going to be through DSMLinks private forums. There are a lot of good tips, and useful information that can be found there. Everyone is very helpful on those boards as well.

#16 ·
greasygears said:
If you have more than 1 dsm can you use dsmlink on each one with only having to get another ecu?
To do that you would swap the ecu that has the Dsmlink chip from one car to the other. But they both must be either 1g or 2g. You can't do this if you have a 1g and a 2g. Then once you swap the ecu you would load a tune from you laptop for the car it is on.

#18 ·
Dsmlink DOES NOT cost $1000. New it costs $550 and the price of an eprom which I see all the time for $150-200. Or you can buy the package used for $600. Dsmlink is more than most people on here will ever need. It has propelled one car (that I know of) into the 8's and multiple cars into the 9's.

#19 ·
Not gonna lie, I'd rather be a pussy and be safe when it comes to my car. I don't have near enough money to be breaking more shit than I need to as is. If you haven't seen any of my earlier posts...I am a self proclaimed newb trying to get "into the game". I've read a bit more into it, and for my set-up, I won't need any more than DSMLink, it's cheaper, better support, and I r kinda retarded when it comes to anything with computers...and I keep hearing that DSMLink is much more user friendly.

#20 ·
I am trying to do the whole upgrade thing and it looks like it's going to cost me over $1,000 to tune it. DSMlink - $550, AWD dyno tuning package - $400, and an EPROM ECU for $350. Anyone know where I can get an EPROM for cheaper than that? I have looked on eBay and a few of these forums but can't seem to find a cheaper one. I have a 1998 Eclipse GSX automatic.

#21 ·
What you need
E-prom ECU can find for around 250.00 (if you don't have one)
Socket the ECU by dsmlink 30.00
Dsmlink software package 565.00
Total 745.00 est.

What is nice (really should be required)
Wideband 250.00
3.5 or 5 bar Map sensor 60.00 (3bar Gm unit 140.00 for AEm one)
Total 310.00

For tuning you can learn on the Dsmlink fourm. It is one of the best foums I've been on with lots of knowledge and people who will to help you learn to tune and tons of info.

Kevin

#22 ·
Its not going to cost over $1000, no way. DsmLink is less than $600 and an ecu less than $200. If you wait and shop around you can come across deals for about $600 for everything.

The three main reason's I went with DsmLink:
1. Plug and Play baby. I took the ECU out, pulled the Keydiver chip out, put in the DsmLink chip in, got the ECU back in the car. Started right up and drove with no adjustments once so ever and I didn't have to hook up the laptop to it. Try doing that with AEM.
DsmLink is all you need for a street car that sees the tracks on the weekends.

2. Reliability. I've read way to many horror stories about AEM units going bad.
Few close friends also having trouble with them kept me from getting it.
So far I haven't come across anyone complaining about DsmLink chips/boards going bad. I'm not saying they're trouble free but definitely less trouble than AEM.

3. Don't have to pay anyone to tune the car. The idle and low throttle tuning is fairly easy and almost anyone can do it. As far as wide open throttle goes you just go do a run, record it, then post a log on dsmlink.com
The guys there will guide you in the right direction telling you what setting to change or whatever you have to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.