DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

No gears unless revved

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  GsxHybrid 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm already pretty sure I know what the problem is...but I always like to get a second opinion on these things.

Short and sweet, when moving the shifter to R or D, it won't go into gear. However, if you blip the throttle at the exact same time of putting the gear selector into gear, it'll go into gear just fine.

Ideas, thoughts, etc all welcomed.

#5 ·
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Going to change the trans fluid and filter, and when that doesn't fix it, going to unplug a line off the trans cooler and see what kind of pressure it has.

Can I just say, finding a fluid pump for a 2G W4A33 is a MOTHERFUCKER.

#6 ·
They are the same as the other dsm's from what I have seen in person, although looks and part numbers might disagree but I dont remember seeing any differences visually, havent had them side by side or anything though. Remember that you wont have any flow through the cooler lines on that model unless your in drive or reverse.

#7 ·
I was going to PM you, then I remembered this thread. Lol.

Pulled the pan today, after draining the fluid. Fluid was Royal Purple ATF, and there was no metal, no silvery substances, no little flakes of metal anywhere at all. However there was a metric ton of black clutch material all OVER the magnets. Also, there was a plum sized dent in the pan that will need to be straightened out for the pan to go back on straight. The filter didn't LOOK too bad, but I've had it not look bad before and be clogged.

But yeah, the new filter is on. I'll put the pan on it tomorrow, fill it up with new fluid tomorrow and see if anything changes...but as of right now it doesn't look like a gears broke or anything. It actually looks relatively clean in there...WTF could it be if it's not a pump? A blocked transcooler line or something?

#8 ·
The black oxide on the magnets is pretty normal, there is usually a pretty good amount on those from not frequent enough oil pan drops and wipedowns, its not really an indication of a failed part though. You can throw a pressure gauge on the trans if you want to, there are ports for it. You are checking the fluid level with the engine running after moving the shift selector through each gear (leaving in each position for 5 seconds) and back up from the last gear to neutral right? (fluid gets checked in neutral with the engine running).

#9 ·
Yeah, I knew that about neutral. I put fluid and a filter in it today, and still nothing. It's not going into R or D at all, it's not even really getting out of park. The actual switch on top of the trans is moving, but putting it in P, R, N, D, 2, L doesn't make any difference on the dipstick. It's like the shifter is disconnected but it's not. I feel like melting it down for scrap and just going with a damn 5-speed.

#10 ·
So just on a hunch, I wanted to see if it would go into R or D when the engine was off...it didn't, but I left it in drive and heard this sound coming from the engine bay.

It's coming from inside the transmission or so it sounds like...

#11 ·
Thats the pressure control solenoid, its normal for it to click like that, but that one is pretty loud. It should stop clicking anytime you touch the gas pedal. You can try unplugging the tcu and see what happens or unplug the multi pin connector on the transmission for the solenoids instead. Reverse is a manual selected gear, but if for some reason your pressure control solenoid is stuck open you could be losing operating pressure. You could have a broken manual valve in the transmission, I was going to have you look at it while you had the pan down but you said that it would go into gear when you revved it, which pretty much ruled that out. Unplugging the 4 pin solenoid plug on the transmission, would drop the transmission into 3rd gear.

#13 ·
Never updated this. Sorry about that.

Here's what the problem was. :p

On this last one I will paypal someone exactly $1 if you can tell me what's wrong in this picture. If you can, I'm super impressed. BISHILVR is disqualified because he's some weird ass guru. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.