DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Transmission fluid only leaks while driving!

18K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SmokinV8's 
#1 ·
Hey guys Ive been having this weird problem. There is transmission/transfer case fluid leaking but only when im driving. If I let my car sit over-night it doesn't leak at all. It seems to be dripping down off of the transfer case. So I don't know if it is dripping down to it or not. Ive checked both of the fluid levels in the transmission and transfer case and they are both fine. Could it be axle seals?

Thanks

Dave

#7 ·
I just finished doing my axle seal this morning. AWD driverside seals are a real pain. When my car was a gs-t it was as easy as pulling the axle pretty much but with the AWD I actually had to pull the transfercase because I couldnt reach around it to pull the seal off.

#8 ·
Did this fix your issue? I'm having the same problem but its still happening to me after new seals. My issues started as just a small leak after driving it too. I last drove it 3 weeks ago and parked it on a big piece of card board so I can see the leak. I checked it for 2 weeks straight while it was sitting and it didn't leak anymore than the few little drips after my last drive. Sometime over the last week though the leaks gotten much bigger even though it hasn't been driven in weeks. I just did a tranny fluid change so my fluid is nice and clean which makes it really tough to follow the leak trail.

#10 ·
Its the passenger side. I pulled the battery out and took a good look down at the axle and I'm pretty sure its the axle seal thats leaking. I talked to a few local dsmer's and since the seal is new they think I need to clean up the axle itself to make a better seal. It makes sense cause I was worrying so much about putting the seal in straight and lubing it so I didn't tear it when putting the axle in I totally over looked the axle itself. I ordered another new oem seal and I'm going to clean up the axle with a scotchbrite pad and hopefully that takes care of it. It wouldnt surprise me if my axle developed a touch of surface rust while it sat with no tranny for 2 months.

#14 ·
Just thought I'd share my info. Upon pulling out my leaky axle I noticed that there was a very light discolored ring around the axle where the seal sits on. I took some fine grit sand paper and polished it till the discoloration was gone. I found a nice tip here on the forums about an easy way to get the seal in evenly while the tranny was still in the car. I slide the new oem axle seal over the axle and then gently worked it into the tranny with it already seated on the axle. It worked like a charm its been about month since I replaced it and its leak free :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.