DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

MindBlowin03's project: '97 TSi AWD

45K views 148 replies 46 participants last post by  Xavier 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since Ill be taking a decent amount of pics with this build I figure I would post them up for everyone. Basic info... 1997 Talon TSi AWD. Pretty basic tear down and rebuild. Plans are for 8.5:1 6 bolt, 1150s, DSMlink, Shep stage 3, HX-40, suspension and just alot of little things to tidy it up. Ill keep things updated the best I can.

The tear down...

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: MindBlowin03's project: '97 TSi

Steve, thanks alot man. Alot of work indeed.

The car was painted last year and its pretty much in mint shape exterior wise, so I have no plans on touching the paint. The only exterior 'mod' Im doing is adding 95/96 Talon side skirts. The tails are removed because the center was shaved and painted black and the outsides were all red. I simply did not like that combo so I bought a full oem set to throw on it.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: MindBlowin03's project: '97 TSi

After the tear down my first step was to throw in some speakers and an in-dash DVD/CD player. No real pics here, I can show them at a later time.

After that I wanted to take care of the rear end of the car. First thing I did was the rear brake and suspension setup. This included cross drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, Tokico Illumina struts, H&R lowering springs, ST rear sway bar and a general cleanup

Rear suspension/brake setup...

#8 ·
I picked up the sway bar at Summit Racing. To be honest, Im not sure of the thickness. I did notice it was quite a bit thicker and sturdier than the stocker but didnt measure. If I remember Ill do so tonight.

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the latest on the car. I(meaning we) finished up the battery re-location. Joe(yellow90tsi) welded up the frame for the battery box, I then got all the wiring ran and cleaned up and I ran the fuel pump re-wire in the hatch as well. I then got the interior all back together. Here are some pics...

#13 ·
Looks like a nice project Nick. :)

I keep telling Joe I have to make it up that way.......................One of these days. :eek:

I guess it's too early to tell as of now, but do you forsee any problems with a 3" exhaust and that rear ST sway bar? I ask cause I was under the impression that they didn't easily accomodate most aftermarket 3" exhaust set-ups. They don't incorporate that "kicked up" section like the RM swaybars.

The car is looking good.

#16 ·
Harry, I dont see any problems as the bar is only 1mm larger than the sotcker. The angles are slightly different but I think Im in the clear. I wont know for a while though.

#17 ·
Here is the latest on the car. I(meaning we) finished up the battery re-location. Joe(yellow90tsi) welded up the frame for the battery box, I then got all the wiring ran and cleaned up and I ran the fuel pump re-wire in the hatch as well. I then got the interior all back together. Here are some pics...

The project as hit a small snag as I just purchased a house. Sucks for the car, but great for myself(obviously). Once I get moved in and take care of some things around the house Ill get back into it.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been a while since I last updated...
So...I purchased a house a few months back - June to be exact. Since then my priorities have obviously changed...until recently. Started getting back to work on things. Joe(yellow90tsi) and I have been keeping busy, thats for sure. Here is where Im at right now...

The bottom end consists of 8.5:1 Mahle pistons, Eagle rods, ACL tri-metal bearings, new Mitsu main bolts, ARP rod and head studs, new water and oil pumps, BS's removed, FF OFH, new oil pan, new dipstick/tube and literally all new bolts from Mitsubishi. The rotating assembly was also balanced and a torque plate was used during the machineing process. The head has a nice port job done to it, BC cams, EVO VIII springs/retainers, SS valves, Skunk2 cam gears, and new tins from Mitsu(bling)... all held together with a Mitsu 4 layer HG.

Bolt-ons include an ERL T3 manifold, Holset HX-40(6 blade/billet wheel) turbo, full 3" exhaust with v-band connections throughout, Tial 38mm WG, FIC 1150cc injectors, Cyclone intake manifold, Jay Racing alternator relocation kit, etc...

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got a few more things done lately...

Removed the BC 272s in favor of HKS 272s. Fabbed up the JMF coil pack relocation bracket to work with the Cyclone intake mani. Also worked in the alternation relocation kit in there as well. Got the -6an fuel line finished up. Tank to filter to fuel rail. Installed the motor and tranny, without issues. Got the axles and front suspension/brakes on as well. Other than that Ive been working on fitment on alot of stuff. FMIC, exhaust, WG dump, wiring, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.