DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1g Power Door Locks

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kronus 
#1 ·
I suspect something is going on with my passenger's door innards. A pannel pull will likely net some greater results then asking online, but I'm focused on other areas of the car right now. If there is a real obvious answer out there before I go diving into the door for diagnostics, then I'm all ears.

When I first bought the car, the passenger's door lock was very tight. The key would not work. Some penetrant oil in the lock and it has since freed up. I can use the key.

If I use the key in the driver's side, the door unlocks for as long as I have the key twisted. If I release the key, the power lock actuator will re-lock the door. Obviously, the door then re-locks once I remove the key from the door.

When I do get in the car, if I flip the driver's side interior lock to unlock, it will then re-lock itself immediately.

When unlocking the driver's door from the interior, the passenger's door lock will also unlock, but it labors. This is why I suspect there is an issue on the passenger's side.

If I lean over and flip the passenger's lock to unlock, the driver's side unlocks (as it should) and remains unlocked. The passenger's side also remains unlocked.

The only way to unlock the doors and keep them unlocked is by un-locking the passenger's side from the inside (or outside), otherwise the power locks pull the doors back to locked.

Sounds like I have a binding issue or something of that matter where the passenger's side attempts to unlock, binds, then thinks it has tried to lock again, causing the actuators to pull everything back to locked.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
That's what it sounds like to me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something under that panel you'll find. Either that or the little brain for the system is on the fritz, but you could find another one of those at a junkyard if you had to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.