DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Alarm randomly goes off

16K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Dsm Rocket 
#1 ·
A few nights ago my alarm went off around 11:30 and not a single person was within 50 feet of the car. It was parked in the garage. Then when I get out of work, the alarm is going off (once again, no one near.) Now when I open the doors, the alarm goes off again! I replaced the batteries in the remote, thinking it was that but no. Has this happened to anyone else or anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks

#2 ·
Is this the stock alarm? Or an aftermarket ones?

The aftermarket ones usually have a small knob to determine the sensitivity of the alarm, you could try messing with that to see if it solves your problem. If your alarm goes off after its already been disarmed though, there's probably something wrong with the control module. Alarms are pretty cheap and easy to install, pick one up and replace your oem one.

#6 ·
Hm, that's odd, cuz that's the only way I can get mine to turn off when it starts going off like crazy out of nowhere. Then the next time I park it, it does it again. It's probably a wiring issue or something. Who knows.

#8 ·
Using the key in either of the doors is the only way to disable the alarm after it's been set off, this will also deactivate an armed alarm so you can enter the vehicle. Also, your car will automatically arm itself after you've left it alone for around 30 seconds, unless the keys are in the ignition.

You know what? I'm going to make a flow chart about our stock alarms since they seem to confuse people pretty often.

#10 ·
My factory alarm has been going off on me alot lately. Iv'e tried locking the doors with the button inside and about a minute to 5 minutes later the alarm goes off. Iv'e tried locking it with the key and same thing happens.

So when I go out to shut it off I put the key In the drivers side door and turn it to lock, not unlock. And it shuts off and won't go off anymore.

Till next time I drive the car and lock it again that is. lol

#11 · (Edited)
My factory alarm was going off randomly on me too. I would get called out of work because my alarm was going off. It also went off on me a few times in the garage.

My solution: Checked all the alarm triggers (switches). They are little rubber boot covered push switches under the hood, doors, hatch, etc that trigger the alarm when it is engaged.

My issue was with the hood switch. It's on a little bracket and is basically the only "dynamic" switch, in the sense that it is able to travel a bit with age, abuse, adjustment, whatever. From the hood pushing down on it, to the rubber hood height adjusters (4), this switch can be in a place where it does not trigger, or barely triggers and the slightest wisp of wind causes it to switch.

I simply adjusted my rubber height knobs to get the hood where I wanted it, then bent the bracket up a little bit so it would come to meet the hood solidly.

Problem solved.

#13 ·
No problem, hope it helps.

#14 ·
I agree with the members who said it is the alarm triggers. This could mean your door triggers malfunctioning, etc.

My factory alarm went off in the middle of the night all the time if it was armed during the day. I believed it to be the passenger door trigger. I'm going to have to order a new one so I can get my new Viper 5701 (with remote start!) to work the way it is supposed to.

#15 ·
I think it was my hood switch. I set the alarm tonight for the first time since my last post and I bent the bracket up some. It was infact bent down a little bit. And its been an hour so far and it hasnt gone off. Before it would go off within maybe 5 mins everytime. But mostly within the first 30 secs.

#16 ·
:rockon: Hope it stays that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.