DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Garage mod 1g bov any bad affects?

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Red1991TSI 
#1 ·
any negative affects on doing this mod? Compressor Surge?

#3 ·
From my experience it depends how you drive the car. If you have the second port open to atmosphere and you drive on really low boost on part throttle than it will flutter, just like other BOV's. The reason being is that the little hole on the bottom is blocked which is now the new port. This little hole is what permits boost to actually "push" the valve open quicker. Driving hard theres no problems because the vacuum and the pressure in the pipes will allow the valve to open quickly. Its one quick Pshhh. Its alittle louder too.

I tried it with "open to atmosphere" and did not like it too much as I drive easy sometimes. I rather have the pressure Valve to control low boost/DD driving habits.

As for negative effects...There are none that I have experienced.

#5 · (Edited)
Red1991TSI said:
The dodge garage mod will allow you to run it in either fast or slow mode. Dependent upon if you have the second nipple hooked to a boost/vacuum port.
If you use the second nipple direct, than its the same as if you did not do the mod. The nipple is there as an option when this mod is done.
If you do want to use the second nipple than you can either use an automatic pilot valve (like Dejon Powerhouse setup) or you can do a switched type of valve/solenoid where it is either on (boost travels to the nipple) or off (nipple is technically open to atmoshere) (Gus Mahon idea)

Edit: The second port has to be hooked up to "Boost Only" source. Not Boost/vacuum.

#8 ·
Thank you very much guys. I am gonna try this mod tomorrow and see how it works out for me. My car is not a DD so Im just gonna block it off and see how it does. Will that work? Or do I have to drill the hole in the flange?

#9 ·
talonandyotas said:
Thank you very much guys. I am gonna try this mod tomorrow and see how it works out for me. My car is not a DD so Im just gonna block it off and see how it does. Will that work? Or do I have to drill the hole in the flange?
Yes you have to drill the hole in the flange. If you dont, than the valve might not open properly because air would be trapped under the diaphram.

#13 ·
I did the mod and my bov held 32psi when I boost leak tested it. And it really doesn't act any different other than give the car a lot more power.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.