Help! Is this a T-28?? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Talk

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Unhappy Help! Is this a T-28??

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place. But if I'm not, please let me know which forum would be more appropriate for this.

A few weeks ago I purchased a used turbo on ebay. The seller claimed that it's a Garret T-28. Me not being very familiar with turbos, I'm having having a hard time trying to find out if it is in fact a T-28. How can you tell the difference between this one and the stock T-25? Did I get ripped off? The little info plate between the compressor and the turbine reads:
Made in Japan, Garret
AA 1468J
MR1B7909
466491-5

Here are some picts. 1 through 5 are the images of the turbo I purchased and the last one is a real T-28 image from the net.

Road-Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
ikickuintheball
Ultra DSMtalker

'95 Eclipse GS-T
ikickuintheball's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the wheels look like my t25, but the ar on my t25 is .48.. the one in the picture is .46. It could be a t28.. put it on the car.. you'll find out easily. lol.

AGP RS49t, custom AMS o2 housing with dump tube for tial, Tial 38mm, Greddy Evo 3.1" Exhaust, Small Greddy FMIC, Denso 660cc, Walbro 255, Greddy Type-S, Dave Brode UICP, Apex'i S-AFC, MBC set at 20psi, Autometer Phantom Boost Gauge, Defi-D EGT, KYB GR-2 shocks, HKS Type-0 Turbo Timer, AWD "Big Brakes", ACT 2100, Fidanza Flywheel, Energy Motor Mount Inserts, RRE SS Clutch line, PLX M-300 WB O2, DSMlink
ikickuintheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
I need to make sure it's a t-28 before I put it on the car. I don't want to double swap turbos. If it's not a T-28 I'm going to try to get my money back and install a Big T-28 Killer. The other reason I need to make sure first is because I want to get it ported and have a 34mm flapper installed. If this is just another T25 then there's no reason for me to do the port and fllapper mod.

If it turns out to be the T28, do you guys know what parts I will need to install it? I know it's a bolt on swap, but I heard that is recomended to use new parts in some cases like a ss oil feed line plus other stuff. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Miguel.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
Will this kit be enough to do the installation?

G-Series Oil line kit

The SBR-G series oil line kit includes:
- Stainless braided oil lines and fittings
- 4 AN fitting into the turbo
- Banjo fitting for 1gs
- Oil return fitting
- Oil return gasket
- Block off fittings for water pipes

The oil line will be supplied from the stock location for 1gs and 2gs.

$79.00
Old 08-30-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
95tsiawdgst
Ultra DSMtalker

1987 ford dart
95tsiawdgst's Gallery
I think that is a t25.

I think mine had 9 turbine vanes not like yours. Another thing is the inlet is slightly ported unlike your turbo.

The last pic from agp IS a t28. You have a t25.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #6
James92TSi
Honorary Administrator

Red (3000GT VR-4)
James92TSi's Gallery
Moved to Parts Talk.

'91 3000GT VR-4 Jackstand Racing League 2008 series champion.
'03 G35 Sport Coupe Retains transmission and full warranty, even with VDC off!
James92TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
I just wrote a mail to the guy who sold it to me asking him if he could let me know where he got it from and about my doubts about the product. If he doesn't answer my email, I guess I'll know for sure it's a T-25. I'm just hoping I can get my money back which I get the feeling I won't. Anyways, thanks for all you're help.

Miguel.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #8
eclipse98
DSMtalker

98 eclipse gs-t
eclipse98's Gallery
that sure looks like a t-25 to me

Just gotten her running. 6bolt motor w/ 95 pistons, balnced shaft removed, shot pen rods, arp rod bolts, arp head and main studs, 1g port & polish w/ 3 angle valve job, ported 1g intake mainfold, ported exhaust mainfold, ported 02 housing. RRE lighten flywheel, 2100act clutch. fludyine radiotor, 255lph walbro fuel pump, s-afc and a ported big 16g turbo.
eclipse98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:14 AM   #9
nano
Elite DSMtalker

97 TSI AWD ATX
nano's Gallery
That's a T25 for sure. No doubt about that.

93 probe GT project
15.0 @ 92.2mph
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:39 AM   #10
utspoolup
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi eclipse GST
utspoolup's Gallery
Just backing up the T-25 hype, I just looked at my BigT-28 and there are serveal differances. One question whats up with the banjo bolt eliminator water line pieces. I doubt that you will get that to fit at all since the one already sits close to the block with the banjo bolt only sitting about .75 inchs away from the turbo, and anlges it 90* parallel to the turbo.

As far as your install kit. Well since you are suppose to use banjo bolts for the water supply/return, you will need 4 crush washers (not sure if they are reusable, but they are cheap, better safe than sorry) you also need the exhaust housing to O2 housing gasket. since you will need to yank off the manifold the first time you yank the turbo, you will need the head to mani gasket. then you want to get rid of that stud, so you will need another bolt. (about $6 from satan). The t-28 and t-25 are identical on the outside, so you can reuse the stock oil return line, but need the gaskets, (4 all together, 1 for the top flange, 1for the bottom, and 2 for the bolts that go into the oil pan).

As a side note, you will want to keep the water lines on a T-28. so basically it looks like you got a $78 manifold to turbo gasket.

And I still dont know if that oil supply line will work, since FP is about the only place that I have seen that sells a upgraded SS braided line for a T-25/T-28. the other ones just dont work.

Sorry for the bad news man.
utspoolup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 AM   #11
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
Thanks for you input guys. I'm working on trying to get my money back but I'm not doing so well. The guy who sold me the turbo won't answer my emails. That by itself confirms what you just told me. Any ways, I sure did learn my lesson. In the mean time I'm gonna keep preping my car with the necessary supporting mods cause I'm ordering a SBR-GT10 Turbo in a couple months. Thanks again for all your help.

Miguel.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:06 PM   #12
utspoolup
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi eclipse GST
utspoolup's Gallery
road rocket, if you dont mind, how about going to goodguybadguy.org and loggin this person who sold you the turbo so others will not be put in the same cirumstance as you were. Thanks man and sorry for the bad luck. Keep your head up, all people eventually get what they deserve.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #13
Road-Rocket
New DSMtalker

99 Eclipse GST Auto
Road-Rocket's Gallery
I'll go ahead and do that in a couple of days. I sent one last email to the seller and I'm hoping to hear from him before I turn to ebay to see if there's something they can help me with, which I doubt. I'm not even upset about the 450 bucks I spent on it, it's just the fact that this is going to hold me back a couple more months to replace my turbo, if not more. I was very excited about finally getting rid of my T-2slow. Oh well, you win some you loose some.

This is what the description said on the ebay auction:

"This is an almost brand new T28 turbo I had it on ebay last week but the winner realized he couldn't pay. Serious bidders only plaese. It was purchased about 3 months ago for over $1,200 and I'm going to sell it to the highest bidder. It has less than 1000 miles on it practly brand new.There is no reserve on this auction. Good luck bidding."
Old 09-03-2003, 05:26 AM   #14
utspoolup
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi eclipse GST
utspoolup's Gallery
a new T28 brand new from FP (well not brand new since it is a rebuilt T-25) goes for $900, and to have the holy of all holys port it adds $95 to the price. still under a G (I would have been scepitcal about the $1200 price tag). I just bought mine used from a local DSMer, good price, and I knew what I was getting. He has ran several good times with it. and has low milage (since the club helped install it they knew the milage). I was able to verify 0 shaft play before laying down the green. I just dont know if I would be able to buy something this important off of e-bay. I was sceptical about even buying a used turbo, but my T-25 has 1/16 of shaft play and leaks oil like a mofo. Ohh well. I was still able ot build 16 PSI and had some good times with that little guy.

Did you use a Escrow service of some sort? I dont know if that helps in a situation like this or anything. But again good luck man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement