Is My Timing set correctly?? Pics Inside - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
Brian98GSX
Super DSMtalker

95' GSX
Brian98GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is My Timing set correctly?? Pics Inside

Alright one thing about the timing that I am confused about is I aligned all marks to where they were suppose to be before I put the belt on, then I put the belt on and they were all still lined up. After setting the tension and then letting it sit and then I cranked it about 6 to 7 times and when I brought it back to TDC the cam gears where aligned right and the oil pump sprocket was lined up right but the crank sprocket is just barely off. Like the sprocket has the timing mark on it and the timing mark that is on the front case that it is supposed to be lined up with isnt pointing to the exact middle of the timing mark on the crank sprocket, it is maybe 1mm off if that, so it isnt off enough to where a tooth could be off because if I switched teeth it would be way off, is this normal for it to be just a tad bit away from the center of the timing mark, it is still in the mark just not in the middle. It cranked fine and all, no hitting or anything so I take it thats its set up right, the only noise I heard when cranking it was like air, and I figured it was cuz there is no oil in it right now and it was coming from the oil squirters that are just under the pistons because it would get hard to crank a little bit like pressure was building and then you would hear the noise and the pressure would go away.Hope that didnt confuse any of you.
Alright here I have some pictures to show you what I mean when Im talking about the timing.

This first picture shows the crank timing marks lined up, now when it is perfectly aligned ponting in the middle of the mark like shown here, the marks on my cam gears look like they are in the 2nd pic. they are off just barely. Then when I align the cam gears, the crank timing marks look like they do in the third pic, just barely off, is it normal for them to be like that or is that bad timing evenknow its barely off at all.

Brian98GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
AXiS
Ultra DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GS-T
AXiS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've never been able to get mine PERFECT, but the arrow parts should be lined up with the notch openings at least. I don't know if it's even possible to get it 100% perfect considering there are slight length differences from belt to belt. From what I can see in the pics, it looks like if you rotated your cams a little more to line up those marks and the other two are still within the indentations, then you should be good.
EVO III 16G, RC 550s, rewired Walbro 190, SAFC-2, dejon tools 2.25" intake, Joe P XZ MBC, Dave Brode UIC pipe, 1G BOV, 2.5" Stainless downpipe and test pipe, HKS Hi-power exhaust, Dejon Big SMIC, Symborski shift kit, brass shifter bushings, front and rear ES motor mount inserts, Auto-Meter 30-30 boost gauge, progress sport springs, 6 Bolt w/ balance shafts removed, balanced rotating assembly, ACT 2600 Clutch, ACT XACT Streetlite Flywheel.
AXiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
Stephen
Senior Moderator

1995 Talon TSi AWD
Stephen's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah your ok. another thing to consider, anyone who may have owned the car before you may have done something retarded and mix matched cam gears.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
diambo4life
Honorary Moderator

91 Talon AWD
diambo4life's Gallery
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
That looks slightly off, but I'm anal like that though. When I do mine it lines up perfectly.

91 GVR4 #476/2000, 3400lbs, E98, 11.8@130 (low boost)
91 TSI AWD. 10.56@139 (2009),17"s, E85, 3200lbs. SOLD
diambo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement