my hood wont open! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
dsmdiggler
DSMtalker

92 Laser RS awd
dsmdiggler's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my hood wont open!

I tried popping the hood on my 92 laser, and when I pull the lever to pop it, nothing happens! There is no resistance when I pull on it, it is just floppy. How can I get the hood open to inspect what went awry? my ac fan is not on the radiator, will that make it easier? Has anyone had to deal with this? Need help asap, thanks!

pat
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
KidintheTSi
Super DSMtalker

1991 Talon TSi AWD
KidintheTSi's Gallery
Sounds like the cable for the hood release broke or is really stretched out or something. Try getting a friend to pull up on the hood as much as possible while you pull the release lever. This might work if the cable's just stretched out. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do; I'll have to do some thinking about this. If I come up with anything else I'll post again.
Green '94 Stroker Talon FWD
'05 Kawasaki ZX6R
KidintheTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
greenstreak
Honorary Administrator
I don't have a life DSMtalker

1996 Talon Tsi AWD
greenstreak's Gallery
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Look behind the lever in the interior to make sure the cable didn't just come out of its retainer.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
dsmdiggler
DSMtalker

92 Laser RS awd
dsmdiggler's Gallery
I can see the "steel looking" wire is still conected to the lever. The wire is eventually covered by some sort of plastic. (interior i am talking about) Is there any way of getting the hood open from under the car? It was a rough day for my car, hood decided to not start opening and my 3rd gear synchro decided it couldnt take any more abuse. (crunch crunch crunch)

I really need to get my hood open so I can see what happened, any other suggestions would be great! thanks,

pat
Old 04-08-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
talonturbo102
Super DSMtalker

1992 eclipse gsx
talonturbo102's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow me and my friends were having this exact conversation today. i always wondered what you would have to do to get the hood open if the lever doesn't work.
talonturbo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
dsmdiggler
DSMtalker

92 Laser RS awd
dsmdiggler's Gallery
I hope someone has had some experience with this, I have to get some work done on the car.. Anyone?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Hanzuki
New DSMtalker

1990 Eagle Talon Tsi
Hanzuki's Gallery
well having lots of experience with this (except on a talon/laser/eclipse so far), try pushing down on the hood well pulling the release. also try pounding on the hood with your fist (without denting it obviously) or pull up as suggested previously. if you can come from underneath, your gonna have to see if you can find the end of the cable still attached to the latch and pull it. I'll have to go look at my car, and see if i can figure somthing else out, cause as i rememeber, the latch is kinda well tucked in there. Good luck.
Hanzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:30 PM   #8
KidintheTSi
Super DSMtalker

1991 Talon TSi AWD
KidintheTSi's Gallery
Yeah I was gonna suggest getting underneath and finding the cable or the latch itself but there's a lot of plastic and stuff hiding it in there pretty good. I'll get under my car tomorrow and see if I can figure something out as well.
Green '94 Stroker Talon FWD
'05 Kawasaki ZX6R
KidintheTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
AXiS
Ultra DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GS-T
AXiS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you can see that the cable is still connected to the release handle thing do this: Pull the handle out as far as you can and look under it. You should see bare metal cable now. Use something to pull the cable even more and it should pop. If it doesn't, you may have worse problems than just a worn out cable.
EVO III 16G, RC 550s, rewired Walbro 190, SAFC-2, dejon tools 2.25" intake, Joe P XZ MBC, Dave Brode UIC pipe, 1G BOV, 2.5" Stainless downpipe and test pipe, HKS Hi-power exhaust, Dejon Big SMIC, Symborski shift kit, brass shifter bushings, front and rear ES motor mount inserts, Auto-Meter 30-30 boost gauge, progress sport springs, 6 Bolt w/ balance shafts removed, balanced rotating assembly, ACT 2600 Clutch, ACT XACT Streetlite Flywheel.
AXiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
dsmdiggler
DSMtalker

92 Laser RS awd
dsmdiggler's Gallery
I'll go get a pliers and give that a try.. After that I am going to jack the car up and see if I can find a way to get my hands near the latch assembly.. Still waiting for someone to reply that has had to do this from under the hood.. thanks!

pat
Old 04-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
AndyTsI95
DSMtalker

95' Tsi Talon AWD
AndyTsI95's Gallery
Well if you were like me, you used to just let the hood slam down from a given height? Sooner or later that bends that latch and makes it unopenable. I just pulled up as hard as i could and it finally poped open, if it is bent, then take it somewhere where they can line it up again or buy a new one.

PS: Only push your hood down i learned the hard way.
AndyTsI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
RippinGSX
Honorary Moderator

1993 Eclipse GSX
RippinGSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you jack the front of the car up, I'm pretty sure you can get at it from underneath. The release cable that is. I was looking at mine last night and it seems that the cable runs down through a metal tube although I didn't look that close.
RippinGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Allspears
New DSMtalker

Eagle Talon Esi 1997
Allspears's Gallery
Re: my hood wont open!

The hood release cable on my Talon was not unlatching the hood. I could see that it was not broken at the dashboard end. I had a buddy press down on the hood and apply pressure near the latch while I pulled the cable. That unlatched it. We then lubricated the latch, working the mechanism a few times. It now opens okay. I hope this helps others with the same problem
Allspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Skywise
Hardcore DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1991
Skywise's Gallery

I don't think you can get to the latch from the outside, its on the radiator core support and the air guide duct is a plastic piece that forms a valley across the whole front end and covers it from the bottom.
Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Sean485
Senior Moderator

99 Spyder "GSX"
Sean485's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Five years later...

99 Spyder "GSX"

Sean Clancy
Sean485 is offline   Reply With Quote