high speed vibration - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Suspension and Handling Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
jd1828af
Super DSMtalker

1992 TSi AWD
jd1828af's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down high speed vibration

its fine when im driving under 75mph but then it starts to get a little vibration, which keeps getting worse as i speed up. ive checked and fixed just about anything that might be doing this. ive got 4 new rims with 4 new tires. just balanced a month ago. alignment about 2 months ago. one new front wheel bearing and one new rear one. ill change the other two when school is over. the bearings are fine but i dont want to risk getting stuck away from home with a busted bearing. the last two cost me $600 to get fixed. im not sure what else to look for. the car just seems like its going to shake its self apart when i get up over 100mph. other than it is prefectly smooth under 70. the only thing i can think of is that the other wheel bearings might be going bad. is there any signs that one is going to go out. ive already checked them for side to side movement and they have none.
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Stldave2
Elite DSMtalker

You Wish.
Stldave2's Gallery
Does it make any grinding/rubbing noises as you turn either direction? The only other 2 things i can think of off hand are a bad joint some where (upper or lower ball, tie rod end, etc) or a bent axle. Those are some other avenues to check.
Stldave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
boostedcustomz
Hardcore DSMtalker

94 Talon TSi AWD
boostedcustomz's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Warped brake rotors will do the same thing. I just swapped in big brakes and the vibration I had is gone.
boostedcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
CrisMurfy
Super DSMtalker

98' Eclipse GSX
CrisMurfy's Gallery
Re: high speed vibration

Quote:
Originally posted by jd1828af
ive got 4 new rims with 4 new tires.
I just got 4 new rims also, and i had the same problem as you.. Turned out the rims I bought diddn't come with center rings and I diddn't notice when I put the rims on the car. You might wanna take a wheel off and make sure you got the center rings with your rims, cuz that would definatly do what you are describing.
1998 GSX - Ported EvoIII Big16G @ 25psi, 272/272 Cams, 2600 Clutch, 680cc Injectors, 24x12x3 FMIC, Ported Exhaust Manifold, 255hp Fuel Pump, AFPR, DSMlink, Wideband 02, K&N Intake, Dejon Tools Intake Pipe, Profec B Spec II, Boost, EGT, & Oil Pressure Gauges, 02 Recirculating Dump, 2.5" DP & TP, 3" Catback Exhaust, 1G BOV, Short Throw Shifter, Shocks, Springs, ADR Rims, T1-S Tires, NGK Plugs & Magnacore Wires, Turbo Timer, Front & Rear Strut Bars...
http://www.mcmpoolandtree.com/eclipse.html
CrisMurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
AndyTsI95
DSMtalker

95' Tsi Talon AWD
AndyTsI95's Gallery
go the speed limit 65, i was going to say what i thought but you have new bearing and aligned already...
AndyTsI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
jd1828af
Super DSMtalker

1992 TSi AWD
jd1828af's Gallery
i pulled out the back seats last night because im getting ready to move out of my dorm and i need the space in the car. i was out driving last night and i noticed that i can hear a squeeking noise when i take hard turns. it sounds like its comming from the back of the car. so im going to check out the rear bearings again. it seems like they always start out like that before they go out.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
jd1828af
Super DSMtalker

1992 TSi AWD
jd1828af's Gallery
i fixed two frozen rear calipers and that fixed the squeeking from the rear. i got a new front rotor but didnt get time to put it in this weekend. i checked just about everything on the car. i found a few things wrong but nothing that would cause vibration. mostly just some oil leaks. looks like i blew out another oil pan gasket i hope this new rotor fixes the problem, if not im out of ideas
Advertisement