HELP!! i'm in "LIMP MODE" - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Transmission Tech > Automatic Transmission Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Astrogalax
New DSMtalker

Mitsubishi/Eclipse/1995
Astrogalax's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP!! i'm in "LIMP MODE"

Hey guys, can you guys share any successful stories about the famous "Limp Mode" ?? have you guys ever fix the problem? did you spend lots of money? Well, my 1995 Eclipse GS with automatic tranny is stuck in 3rd gear and and i'm seeking help...let me tell you guys that I've been in "limp mode" since last summer 2004...last summer my car used to be in "limp mode" once in a while not always (maybe 2 times a month) and as time passed it kept doing it more, more and more often, and now it does it everyday....if i'm stopped at a light it goes into "limp mode", if i make a quick stop if i'm driving on the freeway it does it too....it's unpredictable....when i turn off my car and then turn it on again, everything works well for like 5 or 10 minutes and then "limp mode" happens again......i've heard the possible causes such as, blown fuses, a fried TCU, shift solenoids and the connections to it, harness, and the speed sensor (but i can't even find the damn speed sensor).. i'm about to do the diagnosis with a miltimeter to get any TCU codes...but i still need any other ideas, anything i should check....please i need HELP
Astrogalax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Koreandriver
New DSMtalker

Mitsubishi/Eclipse/1997
Koreandriver's Gallery
Re: HELP!! i'm in "LIMP MODE"

Dude I made almost the same post today i have a 97 eclipse GS Auto tranny sometimes gets stuck in second but suddenly went away...

Do you have a check engine light on? if so that means ya have a sensor crappin out on you or like some others say replace the TCU. I am taking my tranny down to local shop going to get them to flush it take a look if there is any damages as well as replace the shift sensors. You should do the same
Koreandriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
96gst4g63
New DSMtalker

1996 Eclipse GS-T
96gst4g63's Gallery
Lightbulb Re: HELP!! i'm in "LIMP MODE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogalax
Hey guys, can you guys share any successful stories about the famous "Limp Mode" ?? have you guys ever fix the problem? did you spend lots of money? Well, my 1995 Eclipse GS with automatic tranny is stuck in 3rd gear and and i'm seeking help...let me tell you guys that I've been in "limp mode" since last summer 2004...last summer my car used to be in "limp mode" once in a while not always (maybe 2 times a month) and as time passed it kept doing it more, more and more often, and now it does it everyday....if i'm stopped at a light it goes into "limp mode", if i make a quick stop if i'm driving on the freeway it does it too....it's unpredictable....when i turn off my car and then turn it on again, everything works well for like 5 or 10 minutes and then "limp mode" happens again......i've heard the possible causes such as, blown fuses, a fried TCU, shift solenoids and the connections to it, harness, and the speed sensor (but i can't even find the damn speed sensor).. i'm about to do the diagnosis with a miltimeter to get any TCU codes...but i still need any other ideas, anything i should check....please i need HELP

I tried putting in a Apexi auto timer last week. I bought the harness and everything. My car went into "limp mode" just from putting the harness in. It turned off my cooling fans and i was too stuck in 3rd gear. Once i took it out, my car worked fine. I have no idea what this is about. I was looking on here to see if aneone else had the same problem. Aparently so.
96gst4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
perhaps0369
New DSMtalker

1992 eagle talon
perhaps0369's Gallery

According To The Dealer Any Time You Mess With The Wiring, The Car Will Go Into Limp Mode, I Was Told You Will Have To Have It "reprogramed" With The New Harness For It To Come Out Of Limp Mode.
perhaps0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
92awdgsx
DSMtalker

92 GSX auto(sold)
92awdgsx's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by perhaps0369
According To The Dealer Any Time You Mess With The Wiring, The Car Will Go Into Limp Mode, I Was Told You Will Have To Have It "reprogramed" With The New Harness For It To Come Out Of Limp Mode.

The dealer must be wrong because i have the same timer with no problems. I didn't use a harness, I wired directly into my ignition and O2 wire on the ECU.
92awdgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Bigpav7
New DSMtalker

Mitsubishi/Eclipse/1991
Bigpav7's Gallery

in my case it was the TCU. I swapped it out and the car was out of limp mode for good.
Bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
verserv
Ultra DSMtalker

95 M3 / 92 TSi AWD
verserv's Gallery

pull the TCU open it up. If you see burn marks go get a TCU.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
reptiles
DSMtalker

92 Talon AWD 5 speed
reptiles's Gallery

TCUs can often be rebuilt. They have caps that leak (just like the ECU) and if caught in time --can be repaired (I was quoted $195 recently.)

=Mark
Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #9
92awdgsx
DSMtalker

92 GSX auto(sold)
92awdgsx's Gallery

I've had to replace the caps already. It cost me $3.50. I do my own.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
reptiles
DSMtalker

92 Talon AWD 5 speed
reptiles's Gallery

Yes the actual caps are under $4 (get the 105 degree C type) for the TCU.

Labor to do a preventative replacement is often $25-45.

Repair to the circuit board when the caps leak and short out the copper traces is about $195. Sometime one can get luckly and do this at home with some circuit board cleaner (or alcohol.) The caps still need replacement though.

If a chip is burned up by a short, the TCU is often not repairable (because the surface mounted chip can't be removed, is not available or can not be identified.) A rebuilt TCU with 18 month warranty once cost me $425.00.

Regards,

Mark
Old 09-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
92awdgsx
DSMtalker

92 GSX auto(sold)
92awdgsx's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiles
Yes the actual caps are under $4 (get the 105 degree C type) for the TCU.

Labor to do a preventative replacement is often $25-45.

Repair to the circuit board when the caps leak and short out the copper traces is about $195. Sometime one can get luckly and do this at home with some circuit board cleaner (or alcohol.) The caps still need replacement though.

If a chip is burned up by a short, the TCU is often not repairable (because the surface mounted chip can't be removed, is not available or can not be identified.) A rebuilt TCU with 18 month warranty once cost me $425.00.

Regards,

Mark

Yes if you don't catch it in time it does get costly.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
GTABLUE
New DSMtalker

92 Laser RS-T
GTABLUE's Gallery

Looking at buying a 92 auto awd galant GTX 2000 (canada)

Its a non turbo.

After 15 min of driving the tranny gets stuck in warmup mode, wondering if I unhook the tcu if I can drive the car around shifting gears with the solenoids?
GTABLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #13
green_bread
Hardcore DSMtalker

'92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
green_bread's Gallery
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Have you tried to pull any TCU codes yet? Most of the time, a transmission going in to limp mode will not throw a CEL. I reccomend picking up a multimeter(analog is best-digital will work, however) and getting the codes from the TCU and fixing the problem.

Here is a how-to for pulling TCU codes:
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm <-do this.. its REALLY easy!!!

You might also want to pull the TCU and check the caps. If you see any leaking on there, you will need to replace them. I also have a TCU in excellent condition from a '92 that I would sell for $50 shipped. If you need it, just let me know!

ADAM
green_bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
igounfazed
New DSMtalker

Eagle/Talon ESi/1997/AT
igounfazed's Gallery

I just want to bump this and say: DAMN. I never thought about checking any of this! The last link is great too. Wonder if this bump could bring up some actual TCU inside pictures?
igounfazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
onecallaway8705
New DSMtalker

eagle/talon tsi awd/ 92
onecallaway8705's Gallery

i got a '92 talon tsi awd a/t i have it in the shop right now. i just got the tranny rebuilt and it is still stuck in limp mode. they cant get any code readings form the tcu and they also are not sure if the wireing harness is bad. does anyone know where i can get the wiring diagram with the pin outs off the tcu? they have been working on my car for well over a month and i want it back.
onecallaway8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement