Which Boost Gauge Should I Get? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Talk

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
empty01
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS-T
empty01's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Boost Gauge Should I Get?

I have a 1995 GS-T with no mods excluding the HKS Turbo Timer which I do not count. I do not plan on doing anything too excessive. However before I start with anything more than cleaning out the old IC I wanted to put in a boost/vacuum gauge. Was figuring 30/0/25. However I wanted something fairly accurate but inexpensive. I can not justify paying 130-300 for a gauge. I have read mixed reviews about the Autolite gauges. Some say they work really well others have said they always have a tendency to read 3 psi under where they should. Anyone have any experience with the gauges they care to share? Models to avoid and models to go for? Thanks.
empty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
peteullo
Super DSMtalker

92 TSi
peteullo's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Re: Which Boost Gauge Should I Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty01
I have a 1995 GS-T with no mods excluding the HKS Turbo Timer which I do not count. I do not plan on doing anything too excessive. However before I start with anything more than cleaning out the old IC I wanted to put in a boost/vacuum gauge. Was figuring 30/0/25. However I wanted something fairly accurate but inexpensive. I can not justify paying 130-300 for a gauge. I have read mixed reviews about the Autolite gauges. Some say they work really well others have said they always have a tendency to read 3 psi under where they should. Anyone have any experience with the gauges they care to share? Models to avoid and models to go for? Thanks.
Any autometer gauge works fine. I would think this is the most popular brand of gauges out there.
peteullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
10secdreams
Super DSMtalker

'90 GSX
10secdreams's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Although Autometer may be popular I have heard they are not accurate. Not just with boost but their other gauges are not accurate as well. Apex, Greddy, Defi, HKS are all good and have heard they are accurate.
10secdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Chicago_DSM
Ultra DSMtalker

90 Tsi AWD
Chicago_DSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secdreams
Although Autometer may be popular I have heard they are not accurate. Not just with boost but their other gauges are not accurate as well. Apex, Greddy, Defi, HKS are all good and have heard they are accurate.
Depends...The gauges themselves are not usually inaccurate...But, for example, the autometer EGT might not be considered extremely accurate b/c of the probe it uses for info, as well as the oil press. gauge which has an inefficient sender unit....

I say stick with autometer....It's proven and cheap....Your gonna have to pay more for quality, but for the most part the $50 autometer's do the job fine...
Chicago_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
ProjectSoloGear
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS-T 98
ProjectSoloGear's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I've always had autometer and never have any problems with it. Of course I don't have a second boost gauge to compare it to.

Since most of the brands mass produce their products, you'll ultimately find ones that don't work right in the bunch. Other problems could be the result of erroneous installation procedure.

Gus
ProjectSoloGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
empty01
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS-T
empty01's Gallery

ProjectSolo, that's what I was thinking as I read the negative reviews. It also strikes me it would not be the easiest thing to verify accuracy on a boost gauge without a second more accurate. I was also wondering if perhaps the installation for those with problems was done incorrectly like too much unsupported vacuum line which I understand to be a no-no. Now a harder question would be, is it a consistent accuracy, eg always 3 psi low, or is it inconsistent, eg seemingly random, or is it a curve, eg at 5 psi reads 4 at 10 psi read 8 or some such. I do not think it's likely anyone will know I'm just throwing it out there. Thank you all for your replies.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
White91TalonTsi
Ultra DSMtalker

90' & 91' TSi AWD.
White91TalonTsi's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I run autometer, Its brand new but reads fine I think. I would of spent 300 on a defi or Apex boost guage, but I saved 220 bucks in buying one thats looks almost as good IMO.

Autometer Carbon Fibre 0-30psi
White91TalonTsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
ProjectSoloGear
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS-T 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty01
ProjectSolo, that's what I was thinking as I read the negative reviews. It also strikes me it would not be the easiest thing to verify accuracy on a boost gauge without a second more accurate. I was also wondering if perhaps the installation for those with problems was done incorrectly like too much unsupported vacuum line which I understand to be a no-no. Now a harder question would be, is it a consistent accuracy, eg always 3 psi low, or is it inconsistent, eg seemingly random, or is it a curve, eg at 5 psi reads 4 at 10 psi read 8 or some such. I do not think it's likely anyone will know I'm just throwing it out there. Thank you all for your replies.
One very obvious thing you can use to check the correctness of the boost gauge is by simply looking at it without removing it from the box. If it reads anything different from 0 boost (assuming this is analogue), you should definitly put it back on the rack.

The problems with installing the boost gauge would come from the vaccuum line being bent or snugged up. There's a nut on the back that should lock the line with the inner mechanism, but if that's loose the reading may be off.

I don't have experience with the calibration of such device. To really find out, a second gauge is necessary, but who's to say the second gauge isn't off either.

Gus
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
empty01
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS-T
empty01's Gallery

Good point Gus. I think if you're close to sea level the gauge should in theory read a little higher than an elevated position (higher atmospheric pressure and all). I think I will go with the Autolite and use it as a baseline before mods. Regardless it should be fairly accurate to itself and because I'm not planning on running anything too obscene (not trying to get 25 psi just a faster spool and hopefully shave 1 sec off the stock 1/4 mile) I think I should be safe. Thank you all for the replies.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
ProjectSoloGear
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS-T 98

No problem. Good luck!

Gus
Old 01-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
cb7587
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GST Spyder 1997
cb7587's Gallery

I run an ApexI 0-2-0 Kpa and ive had no problems...and it looks great. it does cost a bit more though.
cb7587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
tranceman
DSMtalker

96 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
tranceman's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

In the past I ran a Faze 30/30 Boost/Vac Gauge and was very pleased with it. It was kind of ricey looking I will admit. One thing about it was it felt really solid, compared to an Autometer Gauge I had in the past it seemed to be of higher quality for about the same price. It also came preinstalled with a Blue LED rather then an ugly 194 bulb.

Looking on Ebay the other day I also noticed that Megan Racing has gauges now as well, they might be worth a try since some of their other products have been well liked around here.
tranceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
BoostedRS
New DSMtalker

90 Talon TSI AWD
BoostedRS's Gallery

I have always fancied Greddy gauges.... simple but accurate.
BoostedRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
Spyder1gdsm
Hardcore DSMtalker

1993 Talon TSi AWD
Spyder1gdsm's Gallery

Maybe this will make you think otherwise about autometer

http://john.bayareabmx.com/IMG_3192.jpg
Old 01-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
empty01
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS-T
empty01's Gallery

LOL, great picture, that looks like an Autometer Boost Gauge in the box that's reading 3 PSI of boost. Either you're at the bottom of a DEEP canyon or it's not calibrated... I think it's probably an odds deal, some are calibrated some aren't..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement