RS49 questions - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Talk

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
RS49 questions

I am looking at the RS49 turbo from AGP, but I had a couple questions about them that I couldn't find while searching.

1. What exactly is the difference between the RS49 and the RS49t? Is one or the other a ball bearing turbo?

2. I have all the supporting mods that I need to run this turbo, however, I am still on a basically stock motor. My motor has no balance shafts, ARP head studs, and that's the extent of the mods. Will this motor be able to handle 20psi from this turbo?

3. Is the drain line on the turbo a garret style or a mitsu style flange? Basically, if I plan on getting a return line similar to the one in the link below, will I need to get a garret style or a mitsu style one?
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com...ne-SS-T3T4.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ — Patrick Henry
Read the rules, NOOBS!!
BigBoostDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Chicago_DSM
Ultra DSMtalker

90 Tsi AWD
Chicago_DSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Re: RS49 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoostDSM
I have all the supporting mods that I need to run this turbo, however, I am still on a basically stock motor. My motor has no balance shafts, ARP head studs, and that's the extent of the mods. Will this motor be able to handle 20psi from this turbo?
I would think so...The Head studs will really be really help you safely run 20+psi without the head lifting, but I am hoping an upgraded or at least new headgasket was put in at the same time...A MLS head gasket would really ensure a safe pull of 24psi and up, but for 20psi you should be golden...

Do a compression test before you start bumping up the boost controller past the 20 mark tho, it would help to know if your engine is on it's way out before you overboost one day and you have to find out the hard way
Chicago_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery

The motor has ~6k on it since a rebuild. I did a compression test this evening and I had 155-155-158-155 so all looks to be good.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ — Patrick Henry
Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
CanadianTSi
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
CanadianTSi's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Your motor will handle 25+psi just fine...
CanadianTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery

So sounds like I'm set motor wise.

Question #1 was my biggest question.

Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
BoostedEagle
DSMtalker

95TSI FWD
BoostedEagle's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I doubt one is a ball bearing and the other is not because they are the same exact price.
BoostedEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
DR.Spock
Ultra DSMtalker

95 6-bolt Talon AWD
DR.Spock's Gallery
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

what are your goals and what do you want to achieve?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
wickedred1g
DSMtalker

1995 TSi Fwd
wickedred1g's Gallery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

well the main difference is that one of the turbo's the rs49t is a turbonetics turbo it has there polished comp housing on it. The rs49 is an agp in house turbo with out the polished housing and from every thing that I have heard the agp version is lasting longer!
wickedred1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery

Wickedred1g - Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Spock
what are your goals and what do you want to achieve?
Goals are ~350whp on pump and 425 or so on race, a low 12/high 11 on pump with a good tune, and I'm wanting to get into autocross so a quick spool would be a great thing to have. Also, the pricing on this unit is what really reeled me in.

Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
wickedred1g
DSMtalker

1995 TSi Fwd
wickedred1g's Gallery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Wickedred1g - Thank you, sir.

Goals are ~350whp on pump and 425 or so on race, a low 12/high 11 on pump with a good tune, and I'm wanting to get into autocross so a quick spool would be a great thing to have. Also, the pricing on this unit is what really reeled me in.
You are welcome, and this turbo would be nice for your goals given that you have the proper mods to support this turbo.
wickedred1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery

Believe me, I have everything I need...

850cc injectors
keydiver stg 3
walbro 255
aeromotive afpr
safc2
maft

and I'm probably going with DSMlink in a couple months once I get some spare money.

Do you guys think I'll be set on an internal gate at ~20psi? I don't quite have the money to go with an external setup quite yet. Will I have problems with creep?

Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #12
Keymaster
DSMtalker

'96 Talon TSI AWD 5-sp.
Keymaster's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What about a FMIC? Don't see it on your list.

I'm going to add another question here: I've seen a lot of stories with the RS49(t?) having LOTS of problems blowing oil seals after very short timespans. Anyone got any info on this?
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
AWD_4g63
Hardcore DSMtalker

98 Eclipse GSX
AWD_4g63's Gallery

Forget AGP all together and get the PTE SCM5031e turbo, its equivelant if not better. I started out thinking i was going to the AGP RS49t then changed to AGP RS49 and after all the problems i heard i got the PTE SCM5031e instead becasue i hear ALOT of good about them. Its same price after everythings said and done. I got the turbo (PTE SCM5031e) internally gated, uncut, with install kit (both gaskets, feed line, drain line, block offs, bolts exc...) and all shipped to me for just under 1,000. just my .02
AWD_4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keymaster
What about a FMIC? Don't see it on your list.
I kinda figured that was a given. I have a buschur style street core with short route piping. Honestly, there is not much left to do to the car besides a turbo and then the long block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_4g63
Forget AGP all together and get the PTE SCM5031e turbo, its equivelant if not better.
I've been reading a lot about both, and originally I was going to go with that exact turbo you mentioned. One thing (that I'm not even sure if I'm right about) that turned me away from this turbo was the fact that it was water cooled also. I'd really like to be able to get rid of the water cooling, as that's what caused my 16g to blow up was the water seals.

I do like the fact that the PTE unit is ball bearing. I haven't really found a great place to purchase the PTE unit, so I really haven't been able to get a really solid price put together. Any reccomendations of whom I should go through, and a link to the page with the turbo on it?

Thanks for the help thus far.

Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
AWD_4g63
Hardcore DSMtalker

98 Eclipse GSX
AWD_4g63's Gallery

Quote:
I kinda figured that was a given. I have a buschur style street core with short route piping. Honestly, there is not much left to do to the car besides a turbo and then the long block.

I've been reading a lot about both, and originally I was going to go with that exact turbo you mentioned. One thing (that I'm not even sure if I'm right about) that turned me away from this turbo was the fact that it was water cooled also. I'd really like to be able to get rid of the water cooling, as that's what caused my 16g to blow up was the water seals.

I do like the fact that the PTE unit is ball bearing. I haven't really found a great place to purchase the PTE unit, so I really haven't been able to get a really solid price put together. Any reccomendations of whom I should go through, and a link to the page with the turbo on it?

Thanks for the help thus far.
Ok there are two different MAIN types of PTE turbos the SCM series and then the BB series, the turbo i was telling you about DOES NOT have water cooling only their BB series has oil and water. check this link out to give you a good quote. Talk to hung there tell him Brooks sent you he will hook you up. They are great people.
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...cat=506&page=1
also they said its their best selling 50 trim right now. Thats why i went with it also NO WATER LINES
AWD_4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement