VCE vs. Spool - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Talk

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
drcustom
Ultra DSMtalker

1997 GS-T Spyder
drcustom's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
VCE vs. Spool

The car is a FWD running around 300-350hp, maybe a little over 400 by the time I get around to going AWD.

I have a 2g GST that I eventually plan on making an AWD (It's a spyder, and yes I do know what I'm getting into).

Right now it needs a transmssion, so instead of buying a decent FWD, I'm thinking of building an AWD so I only have to buy one transmission and I won't have to swap again when I do the conversion.

It sounds like a spool and a center diff are pretty much the same. I'm debating against this because I don't know that I'll want a locked diff at the end of the day (this would be a daily driver, and I'm not that serious about dragging).

So, I'm thinking of rebuilding the transmission, maybe even installing a 4 spider diff, and running a VCE until I go AWD...what I'm wondering is if the diff (stock or 4 spyder) will take a beating at that power level in FWD mode, or if I won't have anything to worry about?

Lastly, if I did install a spool, how much work would be involved to replace it with a center diff later on down the line? Is it like a VCE where I can get to it while the tranny is in the car?
drcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
KingGalantVr4
New DSMtalker

Galant Vr4
KingGalantVr4's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: VCE vs. Spool

Get a quaife. I have helped push by hand a LOT of spool and a lot of locking diff RWD, AWD, and FWD cars. Its more difficult to push a spool. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Now you should be asking, why in the heck would I care how difficult it is to PUSH my car. Easy answer, its going to be more difficult for your car to PUSH itself down the track. A spool is better then an open diff hands down, but the strength and manners of a worm gear diff far outweigh anything offered by a spool IMHO.
KingGalantVr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
drcustom
Ultra DSMtalker

1997 GS-T Spyder
drcustom's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I should have been more specific...this is for the center diff, not the front diff. The idea is that I'm looking for something I can run in FWD mode for now, and then AWD mode later on.

It seems that a spool would be the strongest, with a welded center being a close second. However, I would like to use the car as a daily driver so I wouldn't want any driveability issues when it's AWD.

That leaves me with the VCE, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to run a VCE for a few months at ~350hp without risking damage to the spyder gears. If anything, would the spyder gears wear or weaken or are there any potential negatives if locked in place with a VCE and driven hard for a while?
drcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
tnkopher1
DSMtalker

92 galant vr4 #675/2000
tnkopher1's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

buy a switchable transmission off someone and be done. It can go in 2wd/4wd/awd.
problem solved.
tnkopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Stephen
Senior Moderator

1995 Talon TSi AWD
Stephen's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

why not the cheap B&m 200$ lsd? I mean what are your speed/power goals for the car? If your just going to stay at 400hp I would just leave it and do the awd conversion and be happy Not that an lsd would ever hurt and just improve the car. And it being a spyder I doubt anyone would knock you for going awd with it. If I had a spyder I would make it awd and convert it to a talon
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement