V8 eclipse or talon - Page 2 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Other Stuff > Lounge

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
axemurderer
Hardcore DSMtalker

1991 TSI AWD
axemurderer's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: V8 eclipse or talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPRESSURE_84
If you have to ask what has to be done...
Agreed
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
silvercoupe97
Super DSMtalker

97 Dodge Avenger AWD
silvercoupe97's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
If you have to ask what has to be done...
Why...because it's been done a lot and that this is a dead horse? He's not asking how to mount an AFPR, moron. If you're not going to help STFU and don't post.

Here's a link to what was needed to be done to install a Chevy smallblock 350 into a 96 Dodge Avenger. The procedure and things that were done will be similar to what you would have to go through, I would think.

V8 Dodge Avenger Link

Our engine bays are alike...hence the 4G63 in mine, so don't say it's because the Avenger...blah, blah, blah, folks.
GSX swap: 6 bolt/2g head,Cometic/ARP,1G rods/2G pistons,FPBig28,MBC,Forge 1G DV,Water/alky injection,AFPR,255lph,780cc,3" turboback,CenterforceDP,4 spider,ETS short route FMIC, Prosport Boost&EGT gauge,AEM WB,DSMlink, AGX/Skunk2
Old 10-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
underPRESSURE_84
Super DSMtalker

I win all over
underPRESSURE_84's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercoupe97
Why...because it's been done a lot and that this is a dead horse? He's not asking how to mount an AFPR, moron. If you're not going to help STFU and don't post.
It's like explaining how to build a house to a 4 year old. Not that GreenGs-T is a 4 year old, but that its something you just have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGs-T
I am just wondering what the hardest parts of doing this would be and if it is worth it.
Hardest part - chassis fabrication
Woth it - Up to you. I say no.

There, I helped.

Disregard females, acquire currency.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
B1itzeclips
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS
B1itzeclips's Gallery

Quote:
It's like explaining how to build a house to a 4 year old. Not that GreenGs-T is a 4 year old, but that its something you just have to do.

Hardest part - chassis fabrication
Woth it - Up to you. I say no.

There, I helped.
I love how you people come off like your shit don't stink and you know everything. You couldn't do more then half the shit that guy has to fit that V8 in there. So stop acting like you can..

Braces never looked so good...
Old 10-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
420aboy
Ultra DSMtalker

gst
420aboy's Gallery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercoupe97

Here's a link to what was needed to be done to install a Chevy smallblock 350 into a 96 Dodge Avenger. The procedure and things that were done will be similar to what you would have to go through, I would think.

V8 Dodge Avenger Link

Our engine bays are alike...hence the 4G63 in mine, so don't say it's because the Avenger...blah, blah, blah, folks.
I bet that would help alot with doing a 350 swap into a 420a because the avengers have the same engines as us besides the v-6 model eight? I remember seeing a guy doing a v-6 avenger swap to a 420a chasis.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
jcarothers
Hardcore DSMtalker

2007 Silverado
jcarothers's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1itzeclips
I love how you people come off like your shit don't stink and you know everything. You couldn't do more then half the shit that guy has to fit that V8 in there. So stop acting like you can..
his point was if you have no idea what has to be done, you shouldn't take on the project. no one is acting like they can, but ALOT have an idea of what has to be done.. so don't try to be a hardass.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #22
B1itzeclips
DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GS
B1itzeclips's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420aboy
I bet that would help alot with doing a 350 swap into a 420a because the avengers have the same engines as us besides the v-6 model eight? I remember seeing a guy doing a v-6 avenger swap to a 420a chasis.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It honestly seems the same to me. I don't see why this couldn't be done in the 420a... My buddy's avenger is almost identical in the engine bay as mine..
well, minus the turbo, etc.. But still it can happen..

Braces never looked so good...
Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #23
GreenGs-T
New DSMtalker

98 Eclipse GsT
GreenGs-T's Gallery

Ok, I knew there were going to be posts like this, with people thinking since I am asking for help, I have no idea what I am doing. I do know what I am doing, I just do not want to dive into this project head first, without knowing how deep the water is. I am asking for people who have done this or similar projects, if there are any specificly hard areas that will take extra time and attention, such as the firewall, rear end, ect. I would also like to know if anyone does this swap without back-halving the car?
So unless you have advice on how to go about this project, please just do not post here.

Thanks,
Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #24
jcarothers
Hardcore DSMtalker

2007 Silverado
jcarothers's Gallery

Quote:
Ok, I knew there were going to be posts like this, with people thinking since I am asking for help, I have no idea what I am doing. I do know what I am doing, I just do not want to dive into this project head first, without knowing how deep the water is. I am asking for people who have done this or similar projects, if there are any specificly hard areas that will take extra time and attention, such as the firewall, rear end, ect. I would also like to know if anyone does this swap without back-halving the car?
So unless you have advice on how to go about this project, please just do not post here.

Thanks,
like I said, alot of chasis modification is going to be involved.. the amount is what I'd be unsure of. it may be possible without backhalving the car, but in all honesty its probably going to be easier that way. that v8 avenger thread pretty much covers the bare minimum of things you'd have to do. I'd really question the integrity of the unibody of the car though and do a bit more bracing.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #25
axemurderer
Hardcore DSMtalker

1991 TSI AWD
axemurderer's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:

Thanks,
Why don't you explain what you already know about taking on this project and we can go from there? You have yet to give any detail about this project and you havent had any specific questions. If you want some "real" help you have to ask some "real" questions like " Where is the best place to weld new motor mounts" or " I have decided to go with a 03 mustang tranny, anyone know how the driveshaft will fit?" Now I know nothing about doing a swap like this, these are just example's of questions. Show us that you have done some real research and maybe you'll get some answers.

Right now you just sound like some guy who thinks it would be soooo cool to add a v8 to a talon without knowing anything about it, we get alot of that here.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:54 AM   #26
DSM Loki

90tsiawd
DSM Loki's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Cutting away of firewall will take a while, you don't want to just cut randomly. Start lowering the engine in, make some marks, cut a little, see if it fits, if not just cut a little more. Go in 1/4" increments. Once you've cut away enough is when you start checking on how to get the tranny in, using same process. Do lots of measuring, and make sure you have the engine/tranny lined up straight with the center line of the car.

Once you do that use the cherry picker to hold engine in place, level and straight, and mock up a mount out of thin sheet metal or cardboard, then make one out of 1/4" plate, tack it in place and bolt it in. Tack it securely enough that it will hold the weight. Once you get the engine mounted is when you should start working on making room for the tranny. Once you get the hole cut mount tranny to engine, make sure you use a jack/jackstand to hold it so the weight isn't being supported by input shaft, bolt it to engine and remove jack/stand. Figure a way to securely mount the tranny, make sure it's strong enough to not torque itself apart.

After that find a way to mount rear axle assy. Make sure it's centered and straight, mock up some mounts for suspension to axle assembly, make them out of flat stock, tack together. Measure to find proper driveshaft length, don't forget to allow for suspension travel. Either find a driveshaft that fits, or talk to an axle company to get one made.

Find a way to mount a fuel tank or cell. Once you're absolutely positive everything is mounted in a way that will work properly, make sure your mounts are good, and permanently attach the recieving mounts to chassis.

After all that you get into the detail work, making the new firewall, remembering to allow room to get to spark plugs, exhaust, tranny bolts, starter, etc. After that you make the new hump for tranny space, and driveshaft, etc. Mount shifter, then start the chassis reinforcement. Plumb all lines (brakes, fuel, radiator hoses, vaccum lines, etc. Wire everything up, mount ECU, and begin process of getting it started.
http://www.lt1wiring.net will help with the wiring, etc.

Of course, i haven't covered every detail of the procedure but just threw in a quick overview of what I remember from helping a friend's project.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #27
silvercoupe97
Super DSMtalker

97 Dodge Avenger AWD
silvercoupe97's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420aboy
Yup, the 420a in both Eclipse and Avenger are mechanically the same, the electronics is supposedly set slightly different.
I think I know who you are referring to and he did it because the 6g73 is just such a POS, lol. Not the motor itself but the fact that there wasn't an option for a manual tranny and the auto tranny is such a slushbox POS. It was also a school project, so that's why he did it, lol.
GSX swap: 6 bolt/2g head,Cometic/ARP,1G rods/2G pistons,FPBig28,MBC,Forge 1G DV,Water/alky injection,AFPR,255lph,780cc,3" turboback,CenterforceDP,4 spider,ETS short route FMIC, Prosport Boost&EGT gauge,AEM WB,DSMlink, AGX/Skunk2
Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #28
sandcobra164
Super DSMtalker

Mitsubishi Eclipse 1993
sandcobra164's Gallery

Also, just a side note. You're gonna have to either cut the front axles off so that all you have is the splined shaft and outer end of the cv joint of find some bolts that will keep it all tight, otherwise, you'll ruin your front wheel bearings in no time at all. It's probably just be better disassembling the joint though, since that's what the bearing are used to riding on. Good Luck with it allthough, I'd rather have an AWD setup. Just ask Evil-Eagle how to make it run hard!!! That fool has a nice video of him driving to the track, looked like a full interior PLUS a CD player, and then on the track, click off a 9 @145. He's got it figured out, I wouldn't worry with the trouble of the V8. It would be pretty nifty to have a Chevy Smallblock with some glass-packs on it though, people would freak out at the light!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
the_faint
New DSMtalker

2005 scion xb
the_faint's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1itzeclips
my shit doesnt stink, im thinking of packaging it and selling it as a deoderent
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
ddylnglgs
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi/eclipse/1994
ddylnglgs's Gallery

i'm actually looking to put a Chevy 350 into a first gen. i have a lot of performance Chevy parts from dirt track racing so i am hoping to crank out some serious hp. but I'm reinforcing the car with square tubing welded to the under carriage and extending to the front to mount the motor to and actually building a roll cage off of it (and welding it to any piece of the uni body to give the car as much structural rigidity as possible). i'm still debating on how to mount the ford 9" rear end in and how to run the suspension. that will all depend on how the custom frame comes together. i'm really thinking about mounting leaf springs onto it and throwing on some traction bars so i can get some serious bite out of the hole. i'm gonna cut away a lot of the hatch's floor to put a fuel cell behind the rear end. i know its gonna be a crazy long project but i wanna roll up next to some punk in a civic and literally make the ground shake wen i rev up and launch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread