Ebay turbo review!!!!! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Reviews Only

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

newlitemotorist's Gallery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ebay turbo review!!!!!

Alright guys, I have read so many conflicting reviews on this topic that I have got to put in a word...

I purchased a T3 T04E turbo kit off of ebay about 2 months ago BEFORE I found this site. I get on here and find all kinds of bad oppinions but the one thing that kept my optimism up was that everyone who said they were crap heard of a friend of a freinds friends moms brothers dad (you get the idea) who installed one and it blew.....never a first hand encounter.

So I put mine on, it took alot of little modifications....I do have supporting mods by the way so no fuse lighting. I figured that since the things are so cheap i had better refrain from going crazy till about a week or so of driving. In the end I had no chooice cus I was not getting any more then 2 lbs of boost for 2 weeks due to a few minor problems so needless to say I broke the turbo in very well BEFORE I applied any load whatsever to it and I made sure I primed my oils system for about 5 minutes before ever starting the car. I was patient and I took it easy on the turbo for a whole two weeks and then I cranked it up and damn if those friends moms dads friends werent wrong. I have pushed this thing hard for the past week and I check it everyday...ie..shaft play, listen for sounds and check for free spinning. Note: when I first got this thing it didnt spin too freely cus it was tight but now when I spin the turbin it will spin for nearly 30 seconds. I think that these turbos were never broken in or even tested and that is part of the reason why they are so cheap...a turbonetics unit is deffinitly tested and ran for atleast enough time to break in the bearings and what not. For those who have had these blow, I am assuming they just put it on and had fun the second they had the car warm.

Now I know that I have only had it boosting for a few days so I am still in the dark when it comes to turbo reliability but I am certain that my precausions helped atleast somewhat with prolonging the life of this turbo. I will take some pictures of my final setup and I will report back to show people that ignorance is the reason why any turbo blows!!!

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
foxgst
Ultra DSMtalker

1991 Eclipse GSX
foxgst's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Re: Ebay turbo review!!!!!

You mean the friends moms dad was wrong. But yea, I guess if you break them in correctly, they should last. It usually says on ebay "this product has never been tested or this product has never been used". It's a machine, and like every machine, it has to be broken in.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
97upstatetsi
Super DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1997
97upstatetsi's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thats cool I have been looking at them on ebay and debating getting one everyone tells me no but it comes with a one year warrenty I think it should be cool long as you brake it in. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgst
You mean the friends moms dad was wrong. But yea, I guess if you break them in correctly, they should last. It usually says on ebay "this product has never been tested or this product has never been used". It's a machine, and like every machine, it has to be broken in.
I cunfused myself alittle trying to make my point about the fact that there are little to no first hand experiences here with these turbos, just snappy assumtions. Its like someone telling you they dont like broccilli and then come to find out they have never even tried it....They dont even know, they just say it cus of what they choose to believe or hear.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97upstatetsi
Thats cool I have been looking at them on ebay and debating getting one everyone tells me no but it comes with a one year warrenty I think it should be cool long as you brake it in. Thanks for the info.
Take your time with the install......if something does go wrong just exercise your warranty. Name brand turbos go out too you know, but since they are well known, no-one ever draws any bad assumtions when they do go out.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
97upstatetsi
Super DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1997
97upstatetsi's Gallery

Exactly and you never even know that half the bad mouthing can be from maybe a bigger company that is just making them look bad so you buy from them a known name. Its just like anything else you pay for the name.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
greenstreak
Honorary Administrator
I don't have a life DSMtalker

1996 Talon Tsi AWD
greenstreak's Gallery
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

One week is not enough time to make an opinion on reliability in one direction or the other on any turbo. Most don't fail within a week.

There is really no breakin on a turbo. It is not like seating rings in a motor, bedding pads to a rotor, or a clutch disc to flywheel. Prime with oil and go.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Is this the XS power turbo?

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ — Patrick Henry
Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
GSTQUICK
Super DSMtalker

97 GS-T
GSTQUICK's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Interesting. Like some said, a week is not close to enough time to tell worth of this turbo, even if its only 300 bucks.
FPBIG T28-Punishment Racing o2/Dumped-HRC 3" DP-3" TestPipe-3" Thermal catback-XS FMIC w/ custom 2.5" piping-RS BOV-K&N FIPK-Dejon intake pipe-FIC 550's-Walbor190 rewired-custom mbc@18psi-SAFCII(tuned by AMS for 21psi)-ACT2100-XACT Flywheel-ShortThrow/Symbroski
WISHLIST- TRACTION BEFORE 70MPH
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak
One week is not enough time to make an opinion on reliability in one direction or the other on any turbo. Most don't fail within a week.

There is really no breakin on a turbo. It is not like seating rings in a motor, bedding pads to a rotor, or a clutch disc to flywheel. Prime with oil and go.
???Should I quote myself here or what, cus in my first post I clearly stated that as far as the turbo goes.....a week is not enough. The point I was making with all that ranting is that many people draw assumtions without any clause........they speak from their ass end with no argument. I bought the turbo without first looking into things so I did what I could to make the best of it. From what I have read on these forums, it was likely to blow the first day.....Also, I said that I would report back to keep you guys in touch with my experiences with the ebay turbo. I am not saying it wont blow, but I do think people draw conclusions too fast so I am a guinea pig with these turbos in hopes that the assumtions are wrong.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoostDSM
Is this the XS power turbo?
Same supplier so yeah I think it is the same......atleast that is what I have read in these forums
Old 11-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
centxdsm
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 Tsi fwd
centxdsm's Gallery

As stated, this isn't nearly enough time to evaluate anything.

awd swap under way
90+lb/min turbo and dsmlink whp title coming soon...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
97upstatetsi
Super DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1997
97upstatetsi's Gallery

Well I hope it works out for yea. I want to work cuz Im probly going to get one. Big 16G
Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
newlitemotorist
Super DSMtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by centxdsm
As stated, this isn't nearly enough time to evaluate anything.
Read the original post and see what my original point was.....this is a review of an ebay turbo but my original post makes a different point. This review will be ongoing, the original post was not stating my final word on this turbo!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
BigBoostDSM
Honorary Administrator

2001 Harley F150
BigBoostDSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlitemotorist
Same supplier so yeah I think it is the same......atleast that is what I have read in these forums
In that case, just give it a month or two and you'll change your mind. I have a buddy who used their twin turbo kit for his mustang. The compressor housing FELL OFF the turbo. Literally fell off, as in it was glued on.

But hey, if you have good luck with them more power to you. I just wish their products were a little bit higher quality.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ — Patrick Henry
Read the rules, NOOBS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread