Blinker / Turn Signal stuck on - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Folly67
DSMtalker

97 gst sypder
Folly67's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blinker / Turn Signal stuck on

A couple of months ago my blinker cancel stopped working and I had to click the arm back manualy after turning. A couple of days ago the left blinker wouldn't turn off at all. The arm clicks fine, but the blinker won't stop flashing. I turned on the 4ways and all of the bulb flash. Ive pulled the bulbs so, I've been going without blinkers which is pretty dangerous, I guess.

Is my problem the switch in the colomn? Is the whole thing one unit or just a collar? maybe relay? I duuno HELP
Folly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
GSXpart3
New DSMtalker

96 MIT ECLIPSE GSX
GSXpart3's Gallery
Re: Blinker / Turn Signal stuck on

You need a switch thats all. No biggy to fix.
GSXpart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
FabolousGS
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS 1997
FabolousGS's Gallery

ok so prob here so how hard is the install of the switch any diy's on that? dont want my airbag to come out haha
FabolousGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
1997RS
Hardcore DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GST Spyder
1997RS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Same thing happen to a buddy of mine there is a little piece of plastic in side the blinker that switches it back and forth well that little thing broke and it stayed blinking.....Is this whats happening to you? If so they dont sell the blinker thing by it self they sell you the hole colum. good luck
1997RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Folly67
DSMtalker

97 gst sypder
Folly67's Gallery

I got it figured it out and stole the part off of my GS while I am dropping in a neon block and some other stuff in it. I'm going to have to dish out some cash to Satan to replace the part on the GS when it is ready to go. Only the dealer carries this part(maybe ill try a junkyard).
Thanks
Folly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
astaindsoul5446
Super DSMtalker

97 Talon tsi
astaindsoul5446's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Last i knew, and ive never change one on an eclipse yet, but you do have to pull the steering wheel and by the looks of the picture just posted you have to pull it. But its not hard. Disconnect the battery, the air bag is 4 bolts on the back side, and a harness plug. You need a steering wheel puller. They are like 10-15 buck, any parts store. pull the wheel, and the blinker switch is there, held in with a couple screws. Its a half hour job, maybe 1.5 tops for someone who has never done it. Its quite easy.
good luck
astaindsoul5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
FabolousGS
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS 1997
FabolousGS's Gallery

never pulled off a steering wheel so i guess ill try my luck, dealer carries them for like 85 ebay has them also, stupid blinker!!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
99gst_racer
Hardcore DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
99gst_racer's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I had this happen a few years back on my 95 GS. You can order just the little switch inside the column. I had my local body shop order the part from the dealership and install it. Total bill only came to $55 with part and labor.
99gst_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
MPDano
New DSMtalker

Mitsu Eclipse GST 1998
MPDano's Gallery
Cool Re: Blinker / Turn Signal stuck on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer
I had this happen a few years back on my 95 GS. You can order just the little switch inside the column. I had my local body shop order the part from the dealership and install it. Total bill only came to $55 with part and labor.
I just got the same problem yesterday when picking up some flowers for my wifes BDay. Right signal just keeps flashing. I am sure its the same issue. Do you have the part number for the small switch or maybe a link somewhere? Also, does it involve removing the steering wheel to get to this switch or can I just take the column cover apart? Thanks in advance
MPDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
MPDano
New DSMtalker

Mitsu Eclipse GST 1998
MPDano's Gallery

Heres a follow up on my findings. You can remove the switch from a 98 GST without pulling the wheel. Just remove the upper and lower column clovers and unplug 2 wiring harnesses connected to it. I opened mine and it had 2 broken plastic pieces in it. I am sure this is common. Part number is MR277924. Now for a price search I am going.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
MPDano
New DSMtalker

Mitsu Eclipse GST 1998
MPDano's Gallery

Ok, update to my update. Mitsu stock parts are junk. It ended up being a small plastic pin that just snapped off. Its about 1/4 long, I just took a very small drill bit and rebore a hole and put a small screw (same diameter as the plastic pin), then cut off the screw head with my dremel. Walla, works perfectly and saved me $70. Turn Signal Switch part on eBay was $62 with $8 ship. Small screw was probably 2 cents.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
FabolousGS
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GS 1997
FabolousGS's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano
Ok, update to my update. Mitsu stock parts are junk. It ended up being a small plastic pin that just snapped off. Its about 1/4 long, I just took a very small drill bit and rebore a hole and put a small screw (same diameter as the plastic pin), then cut off the screw head with my dremel. Walla, works perfectly and saved me $70. Turn Signal Switch part on eBay was $62 with $8 ship. Small screw was probably 2 cents.

post some pix i still havent got around to fixing mine
Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
BlackRoija
New DSMtalker

Eclipse GST 1997
BlackRoija's Gallery

Thanks MPDano! I followed what you said and jerry rigged that little broken plastic piece. Saved me $70. I did it a little different tho. I heated up a nail and melted in the plastic and crimped the head. Worked like a charm!
BlackRoija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The thread that will not die! My GS-T has the same problem, now- the LH turn signal stuck permanently on yesterday morning. It is not the cancel feature- I can manually flip the stalk back to the "off" position (or the RH position) and the LH flasher remains on.

Thanks to info from various posters, I already have pulled the top and bottom covers off the steering column (3 screws) and removed the LH stalk assembly (2 screws), and yes, you do NOT have to remove the steering wheel and dick around with the airbag. Hmmmm, with it in my hands, I didn't see ANYTHING that was broken, and there were no broken-off pieces of plastic inside the lower cover. Where exactly are these plastic "nubs" that fail? I can operate the stalk relative to the mount while free of the column and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the mechanism. The little pawl that interfaces with the cam on the steering column appears to be working correctly in all three positions. Didn't immediately find the wiring diagram in my OEM manual, otherwise, I've have gotten the ol' multimeter out to do a continuity check. Something to do tonight, I guess. I hesitate to disassemble the thing, as I see some teeny springs that I don't want to have go "SPROING" and fly across the room.

I can override the turn signal by engaging the emergency flashers, so at least I don't look like a clueless bluehair, driving down the road w/ a turn signal forgotten. And after plugging the assembly (sans covers) back together this morning for the drive into work (signal still stuck on after the R&R), I intend to unplug the one connector that I presume is solely for the signals. That'll allow me to still have headlights/taillights for the morning 6:30am commute to work.

Now, is there ANYTHING else in the circuit that can fail causing one blinker to be on, OTHER than the stalk? Or is the broken part internal to the stalk assembly, and not obvious unless one takes the stalk assembly itself apart?

I really don't want to buy a replacement (cheapest currently is about $59 delivered from Monster Auto Parts for a PN #MR277294 (for '97-'99 cars, '95-96 calls for a different part #) if that is not going to fix the problem.
122K+ daily driver. Which means that more and more crap is broken and needs expensive repairs. I sure see the difference between the build quality of my '97 DSM and a 9-year older Honda CRX. No wonder Mitsubishi is all but out of business in the States.
97GreenSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
meanAWDtalon
New DSMtalker

91 talon tsi awd
meanAWDtalon's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GreenSpyder View Post
The thread that will not die! My GS-T has the same problem, now- the LH turn signal stuck permanently on yesterday morning. It is not the cancel feature- I can manually flip the stalk back to the "off" position (or the RH position) and the LH flasher remains on.

Thanks to info from various posters, I already have pulled the top and bottom covers off the steering column (3 screws) and removed the LH stalk assembly (2 screws), and yes, you do NOT have to remove the steering wheel and dick around with the airbag. Hmmmm, with it in my hands, I didn't see ANYTHING that was broken, and there were no broken-off pieces of plastic inside the lower cover. Where exactly are these plastic "nubs" that fail? I can operate the stalk relative to the mount while free of the column and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the mechanism. The little pawl that interfaces with the cam on the steering column appears to be working correctly in all three positions. Didn't immediately find the wiring diagram in my OEM manual, otherwise, I've have gotten the ol' multimeter out to do a continuity check. Something to do tonight, I guess. I hesitate to disassemble the thing, as I see some teeny springs that I don't want to have go "SPROING" and fly across the room.

I can override the turn signal by engaging the emergency flashers, so at least I don't look like a clueless bluehair, driving down the road w/ a turn signal forgotten. And after plugging the assembly (sans covers) back together this morning for the drive into work (signal still stuck on after the R&R), I intend to unplug the one connector that I presume is solely for the signals. That'll allow me to still have headlights/taillights for the morning 6:30am commute to work.

Now, is there ANYTHING else in the circuit that can fail causing one blinker to be on, OTHER than the stalk? Or is the broken part internal to the stalk assembly, and not obvious unless one takes the stalk assembly itself apart?

I really don't want to buy a replacement (cheapest currently is about $59 delivered from Monster Auto Parts for a PN #MR277294 (for '97-'99 cars, '95-96 calls for a different part #) if that is not going to fix the problem.
Any updates? Im having the same issue
meanAWDtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement